Forums
Posted By: BARRY72 toyota land cruiser hard to start - 24th Aug 2013 4:40pm
hi i have a 3.0 turbo diesel toyota witch is hard to start in the mornings ive changed the heater plugs fuel filter and prima pump any one have any ideas please
Posted By: turnip Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 24th Aug 2013 5:07pm
Have you tried the heater plug control unit?
Posted By: BARRY72 Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 24th Aug 2013 7:21pm
dont no were that is
Posted By: jefff3 Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 24th Aug 2013 9:04pm
Get the starter recon prob cot ya 50 Quid
Posted By: Gibbo Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 27th Aug 2013 10:26am
Check your battery, especially if its over three years old.

And like Turnip says, check the glow plug relay / control unit.

Pick up a Haynes manual and do a bit of servicing if its not had one for a while.

I also recommend disconnecting the battery and checking all the leads and earth points, they get neglected.
Posted By: turnip Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 27th Aug 2013 6:21pm
hello mate, Turnips dad here. I am assuming its a generation 2 engine?

Now only try this if you are completely happy you can do it without injuring yourself or causing damage to the engine.

remove the intake pipework (particularly the plastic pipework) after the air filter, now get a small gas torch and while someone turns over the engine apply the flame into the inlet manifold. if the vehicle starts immediately then it is more than likely an electrically associated cold start problem, if the engine stumbles for a few seconds this is ok provided it is only a few seconds. Effectively you are bypassing the electrical side of the electric cold start facility.

If it still fails to start immediately then you need to check the timing and cylinder compressions (diesels need a higher reading compression tester)

Never use easy start, due to the octane rating it causes the piston rings to stick into the ring lands. this is why it is sometimes said that "engines seem to get addicted to easy-start."

Posted By: BARRY72 Re: toyota land cruiser hard to start - 31st Aug 2013 5:38pm
thanx ill try the gas torch
© Wirral-Wikiwirral