Forums
Posted By: Mark car accident insurance scam - 16th Aug 2013 1:08pm
Warning over 'flash-for-cash' car accident insurance scam

Motorists are being warned about a new insurance scam where criminals flash their lights to let other drivers out of a junction, then crash into them on purpose. Anti-fraud experts are calling it "flash-for-cash". The gangs tend to target new, smarter vehicles or vulnerable road users, including older people and women with children in the car.
The scam is costing insurers hundreds of millions of pounds every year. It is a new tactic for an already well established crime, called "crash for cash", where criminals slam on the brakes for no reason so that the victim drives into the back of their car. Police investigators said the criminals will often remove the bulbs in their brake lights so other road users don't know they're stopping.

However, "flash-for-cash" is more crafty, because it is harder to prove in court, often coming down to the innocent driver's word against the criminal's that they flashed their lights to let them out.

Source Click Me

There is more to read about it.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: car accident insurance scam - 16th Aug 2013 2:59pm
I never respond to light flashers or flash my lights after seeing a kid get knocked down last year. He ran out when a car let him go. He was ok, but its enough to put me off.
Posted By: Mark Re: car accident insurance scam - 16th Aug 2013 4:16pm
The Highway code defines the flashing of headlights as only to warn of your presents.

Which can be confusing when you see lorries flashing each other in after overtaking.
Posted By: BossFan Re: car accident insurance scam - 16th Aug 2013 9:53pm
Originally Posted by Mark
The Highway code defines the flashing of headlights as only to warn of your presents.

Which can be confusing when you see lorries flashing each other in after overtaking.

Lorry drivers are usually flashing to let the one overtaking that his trailer has passed the and is safe to manoeuvre in.

As stated flashing of lights is the same as sounding your horn, alerting others to your presence.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: car accident insurance scam - 17th Aug 2013 12:49am
Nobs, go get a proper job like the rest of us!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: car accident insurance scam - 21st Aug 2013 12:09pm
I don't see people flashing their lights to let people out at junctions much these days.

But if someone did flash I'd make sure there was enough room for me to get out and get away before the flasher could get close enough.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral