Forums
Posted By: Petei123 how much? - 9th May 2013 11:02am
A question to all mechanics/garage owners out there

How much should I be looking to pay for the following?

- Supply and fit new n/s headlight and bulbs
- Supply and fit new o/s and n/s front coil springs with new n/s front top suspension bush
- repair rear gear box mounting
- supply and fit new exhaust front pipe (cataylst) with clamps
-supply and fit new rear exhaust system with clamp
- fit owners rear discs and pads
-bleed braking system and top up
-MOT

I'm not after an exact price, but just a round about price.

Thanks
Posted By: Salmon Re: how much? - 9th May 2013 11:11am
I think people would need to know engine size and maybe registration number or year of manufacture to ensure correct parts.
Posted By: Petei123 Re: how much? - 9th May 2013 11:14am
Ah right, fair enough.

Its a 2004 VW Polo 1400 3 door.

Don't feel too comfortable giving out the number plate though
Posted By: turnip Re: how much? - 9th May 2013 11:16am
You are looking at a few hundred. It depends if you want original quality or aftermarket. The cat is usually the most expensive part of an exhaust. The gear box mounting would probably end up being about the same price just to replace it than to repair it. And you're talking at least 5 hours worth of work, so assuming the garage charges £40 p/h theres £200. Then you're probably talking between £100 to £150 for the cat and about £20 to £30 for the rear exhaust and clamp. Springs probably around £20 each and top mounting maybe the same so say £75 just to be sure. Headlamps assuming you go for the aftermarket can be anything from £30 to hundreds depending on the type so assuming around £50. Bulbs maybe a fiver and brake fluid maybe a tenner. Then assuming they charge £40 for an MOT. That's around

So all in between about £550 to £700. Just depends on the car and certain other aspects. Let me know if you want my dad to throw you a quote together as he's an ex mech and does some meching from home. Only charges £25 an hour instead of the £40 or £50 that you'll often pay at a garage.
Posted By: Petei123 Re: how much? - 9th May 2013 11:22am
Thanks for the heads up, the garage its getting done at is a family friend, and I'm assuming I won't getting ripped off, but its always better for me to get a rough idea just incase. I wouldn't be too sure if they were genuine parts or after market that they were using, but I'm going to guess that to get it on the road asap, it'd be aftermarket from the likes of eurocarparts?
Posted By: turnip Re: how much? - 9th May 2013 11:27am
Euro parts sell both OE quality and aftermarket. And they can get the stuff in same day/next day depending on when it is ordered. Just some things theres a big hike in price where the supplier is, for example take the headlamp, a Valeo compared to an aftermarket. Where the valeo would be what VW fitted when the car was made. It'll be the same light just maybe not undergo as many tests.
Posted By: Pedrob Re: how much? - 3rd Jun 2013 12:43am
I would fit for around £150 and parts would be around £200 with my discount
Posted By: Pedrob Re: how much? - 3rd Jun 2013 12:46am
Ps catalysts are pretty cheap now as they use aftermarket parts without the precious metals inside normally around £50 to me
Posted By: insanekitty Re: how much? - 3rd Jun 2013 6:55am
hey Pedrob
How much for a cat for a Rover 75 1.8 Turbo 2003?
Keep getting the message cat below efficiency threshold!
Cheers Steve

ps and fitting?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: how much? - 4th Jun 2013 10:59am
Have you tried CATS2U? I know a few people who have used them.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral