Forums
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:24pm
Tonight i was on the way to work, very very foggy. At this point I was driving at 20mph with my fog lights on. I pulled over outside a shop near some traffic lights. Went in shop, came out and noticed a police car over the road. I got that gut feeling they were after me for something.. Started car, drove off. 100 yards up the road, blue flashing lights. I got out, went up to his window and he asked "Do you know why I pulled you over". I was completely oblivious! He said I was parking on zigzags and now I have a £60 fine and 3 points to answer to.. Is there anyway I can appeal this? It was dark, foggy and I was consentrating on the road.. If I take these 3 points, i'll be disqualified..

HELP!! smirk
Posted By: uptonbaz Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:33pm
Fog Does not hid zig zags,
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:36pm
I didn't say it does! Just that I was concentrating more on the road than where I parked!
Posted By: Mark Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:41pm
There would normally be beacons (Flashing) for a zebra crossing lit at night. Unfortunately there is no way out. The Highway code is quite clear about this.

But if your in Moreton cross on the side of Motorworld, i just love the way if there are 2 buses in a line from the bustop the last bus is allowing passengers to embark while its still on the zig zags.

Its a Bummer, but i'm sure in the future you will be so aware of where you stop. The saving grace is that there was no accident to answer too also.

Put it down to experience.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:54pm
Yep, you're stuck with it. If you can demonstrate an absolute need for the car,; no other way to get to work, for instance, the magistrates have discretion not to disqualify, but the reason will have to be very convincing.
Posted By: cathie Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 9:55pm
Do they have photographic evidence? If not it may be worth contesting
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 10:00pm
Well my main job is a parcel courier, and of a night I'm a DJ. Both jobs involve driving. Lose my license and I'm out of work. Got kids to privide for and a house to pay for.. Is that good enough??
Posted By: j_demo Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 10:34pm
unfortunately not, if it was more than 3 pts you may have grounds to appeal but 3 points and £60 fine you have pretty much zero right to appeal, and even then zero chances of success unfortunately. the fine may have some leniancy, but the points are a given.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 11:27pm
Does disqualification only last while the number of points are on licence? Check when your other points come off. Mind you if you didnt see the traffic lights and the zig zags it might be better that your off the road especially considering that I am a lolipop man!!. No only being sarcastic. Do sympathise with you. I picked up 9 points for 3 separate speedings over the years all 36mph in 30mph . On two of the offences the 30mph sign was masked by a high sided vehicle and scaffolding. I did take photos of the scaffold hiding the sign and tried it on with a nice letter---but lost. Their is a bugger of a camera by Lairds just at that point after the roundabout when you have accelerated before you check your speed. Good luck
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 11:53pm
I was aware of the traffic lights and zigzags, but I thought I had well cleared them where I parked, but not..

But the facts are, if i lose my license then I am also losing my 2 jobs which I rely on driving..

Would this help at a hearing?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Parking on ZigZags - 9th Jan 2013 11:58pm
you'd have to be very unlucky to get a ban, just be straight with the magistrates and fingers crossed for you, you should just get the points.

the way it reads you parked after the crossing, so this should help you as well.

don't try and contest it though, chances are you will end up getting a ban then.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 12:34am
My mate Dan ended up going over 12 points but he took a barrister to court with him to the hearing. The barrister laid it on thick, job, mortgage, family etc and he needed his licence to provide for his family.

He got a 2 week ban, well worth taking a brief with you.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 12:52am
If you are a courier for a company, then usually a letter from your boss on company letter-headed paper explaining that you need the license to do the job will suffice

This doesn't work all the time though, it depends on the magistrate's on the day
Posted By: dave_g Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 1:25am
i know two different people that have had 18 points,if your livelyhood depends on your license and you have'nt driven dangerously then you should keep it.i would try and contest the original complaint in any way you can before accepting points,dont feel bullied into taking them!
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 3:43am
If you don't mind me asking but what are the points that are already on your licence for ?, I'm sure the courts will ask about this and may take this previous offences in to account
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 12:46pm
Sounds to me like the OP isn't a very good driver if they've already accumulated 9 points and couldn't see road markings in fog.

And supposedly a professional driver too?

Call me cynical but I think the roads would be safer with him off them!
Posted By: gemkat Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 1:02pm
with the greatest of respect the zig are there for a reason fog or no fog u know 100% you shouldnt have parked there.....

parking on zig zags in fog obviously created a greater danger to the public and you deserve the ticket and points
Posted By: Finney Re: Parking on ZigZags - 10th Jan 2013 4:53pm
If you already have 9 points on your licence then the police officer should not have issued a fixed penalty notice and told you he was going to report you by summons as the additional 3 points would have taken you to a automatic 12 month ban through point accumulation. The ban can only be enforced by the magistrates and not by you paying the £60 fine and sending your licence off. Did you have to give your licence details to the police last night?, Was a ticket issued?. If the ticket was issued then get advice from the citizens advice as the ticket cannot be enforced, again only the magistrates can do this and that would have to be via a summons.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 9:34am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Sounds to me like the OP isn't a very good driver if they've already accumulated 9 points and couldn't see road markings in fog.

And supposedly a professional driver too?

Call me cynical but I think the roads would be safer with him off them!

withthat

Originally Posted by gemkat
with the greatest of respect the zig are there for a reason fog or no fog u know 100% you shouldnt have parked there.....

parking on zig zags in fog obviously created a greater danger to the public and you deserve the ticket and points

withthat
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 10:56am
Alot of these replies I bet are people without a license or someone who's never had points. I'm 24 years old, had 9 points on my license for 4 years which will remain for another year. And for the professional driver comment, I've been a courier for 6 months. Now 4 years ago when i was 19/20, i was stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I woudnt have been bothered about taking points but now i have 2 jobs, a house and kids to provide for.. I posted for advise, not to be criticised!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 11:43am
Originally Posted by ShaunTheSheep
Alot of these replies I bet are people without a license or someone who's never had points. I'm 24 years old, had 9 points on my license for 4 years which will remain for another year. And for the professional driver comment, I've been a courier for 6 months. Now 4 years ago when i was 19/20, i was stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I woudnt have been bothered about taking points but now i have 2 jobs, a house and kids to provide for.. I posted for advise, not to be criticised!!

You've had a lot of advice as to how to try to avoid a ban, and also some quite deserved criticism. You should have thought about your jobs/house/kids earlier. With already having nine points you should have been driving like a saint.
Posted By: Wench Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 12:38pm
Alot of these replies I bet are people without a license or someone who's never had points. I'm 24 years old, had 9 points on my license for 4 years which will remain for another year.

Generally, they only stay on for 4 years. They stay on for 11 years if it's for things like drink driving, causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs or causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis.

Unless your points are for reckless/dangerous driving (will show up as code DD40, DD60 and DD80 and stay for 4 years from the date of conviction), I'd check the dates of the offences you committed to get the points as the points stay on your license for 4 years from the date of the offence, not the date of conviction.

You can always ring the DVLA to check when your endorsements expire. I think you can check online too.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 3:23pm

I have not long got my licence back clean after having 3 points for the past 4 years. Within a week of getting it back I had to sit a speed awernes course for doing 35 in a 30 zone on new chester road. And the other morning I got a letter to say I have been court doing 35 in a 30 zone. In liverpool. I will get points and a fine witch I will take on the chin and pay the fine. Both times I wanted to get home after a long day at the office. I didn't moan about it because it was my own falt no-one else's. Like has been said you should of thought about the consequences before hand. Just like the rest of us.
Posted By: aaronazza Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 7:48pm
There is a talk show on citytalk 105.9 on wedneadays 12 til 1 a solicitor you can ring text or email him any question you want, iv heard him mention time an time again if your going to suffer "exceptional hardship" sometimes not all the time can help sway a judges decision, the solicitor thats on specializes in motoring laws and offences might be worth givin tha a listen maybe ring or text him see wat he can do, best advice i can give, unlike some of the negativity bein thrown around on this thread hope tha helps
Posted By: aaronazza Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 7:50pm
Im not sayin parking on zig zags is acceptable but the thought of losin ya license wen ya need it for work an to support ya family is not so good, didnt no parkin on zig zags was endorseable
Posted By: reddragon Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 8:14pm
zig zag lines usually mean no overtaking or parking in that area. found a few metres before and after pedestrian crossings.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 8:20pm
I would go to and explain everything, explain what you said about kids,hardship and losing job, explain the previous points were added years ago and you have gone a long time without getting any. You have tried your best, you are trying to support your family and not being able to drive put your whole household in serious hardship.

As said above, the radio solicitor has got to be worth a try and you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of pride maybe.

Good luck
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Parking on ZigZags - 11th Jan 2013 8:25pm
Also another question,were the lines white or yellow?
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Parking on ZigZags - 12th Jan 2013 6:17pm
Originally Posted by beehive

I have not long got my licence back clean after having 3 points for the past 4 years. Within a week of getting it back I had to sit a speed awernes course for doing 35 in a 30 zone on new chester road. And the other morning I got a letter to say I have been court doing 35 in a 30 zone. In liverpool. I will get points and a fine witch I will take on the chin and pay the fine. Both times I wanted to get home after a long day at the office. I didn't moan about it because it was my own falt no-one else's. Like has been said you should of thought about the consequences before hand. Just like the rest of us.

Got letter today to say I can choose to take a (traffic light awareness course, or up to a £1.000 fine and 3-6 points) I no witch one I will be taken wink so there is still hope for you. Maybe they do a zig zag awareness course smile
Posted By: El_Aych Re: Parking on ZigZags - 12th Jan 2013 9:22pm
You got lucky so now time to show some consideration.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Parking on ZigZags - 13th Jan 2013 4:30pm
Originally Posted by El_Aych
You got lucky so now time to show some consideration.

Consideration for who / what? My bank balance? Being lucky is getting away with it.
Paying £90 to sit a test isn't.
Posted By: El_Aych Re: Parking on ZigZags - 13th Jan 2013 6:01pm
Consideration for other road users and pedestrians. They don't paint those zig zags on the road because it turns them on.

They're there for a reason.

Maybe your little educational session will teach you something.
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Parking on ZigZags - 13th Jan 2013 6:55pm
Well let me just educate you a little on posting in forums. Quote who you reply to then we won't get any miss understandings. Read topic form beginning to end and you will find I was not the zig zag parker. smile
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Parking on ZigZags - 14th Jan 2013 1:02pm

I own a licence, and have done for about 23 years. Its clean because I make the effort to follow the rules of the road that were drilled into me by my driving instructor and were required to be followed if I wanted a licence.

I was also a professional driver - I used to deliver and install computer systems to students with disabilities, and did about 40,000 miles a year all around the country for a period of four years. In all that time I managed to do so without getting points. I even managed to use my indicators day in and day out.

If you can't drive to the standards that were set out when you passed your test, either get more lessons, or don't bitch when you get caught and points. It really isn't that difficult, that's how 17 year old kids can pass their tests.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral