Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Top-up battery. - 31st Dec 2012 2:37pm
I've seen various adverts for top-up batteries. Small (presume lead/acid) batteries you plug into your cigarette lighter socket if your main battery is flat and you are out in the sticks. They say a few minutes connected will transfer sufficient charge into car battery to crank the engine. I'm not 100% convinced, but still.

I have a new Yuasa Sealed Lead Acid 12v 14ah battery and was wondering if this would do the same job? Obviously ensuring correct polarity and NOT trying to start the engine whilst connected up. Is anything likely to let the Smoke Genie out of the wiring? I'd be bunging an in-line fuse into the feeder wiring of course.

The "proper" ones they are flogging in various mags seem to be about £29.95 + P&P. !! The Yuasa is free !

Comments please.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Top-up battery. - 31st Dec 2012 10:40pm
I'm not convinced either. Is it for the Pinz? (Oh, but isn't that 24 volt)? Why not just keep a spare battery on trickle charge and use jump leads? Incidentally, re. jump leads; I've found that where the cable is crimped to the clip is often high resistance and gets hot. I solder them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Top-up battery. - 31st Dec 2012 11:02pm
It's for the Fiasco Chris. Yes, the Pinz is 24v AND they are 2 big tractor type batteries stashed underneath. Even 2 Yuasa's in series would be a bit of a joke. I think you'd need a few of them in a series/parallel configuration to do any good!

Good point re: soldering the crimps. Thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral