Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Air Flow - 8th Jul 2004 5:37pm
i've heard that positioning a sub underneath a 6x9 thats mounted in the parcel shelf (like mine) can effect the performance of the 6x9 due to the air from the sub being forced out directly at the 6x9...im just wondering if you could shed some light on how true/false this is??

cheers laugh
Posted By: aceritz Re: Air Flow - 8th Jul 2004 5:41pm
basically for the speaker to work in best conditions its is always placed in a still air environment.
if the sub is directly underneath a speaker the air aint still so the air flow around the 6x9 is disturbed, therefore altering the expected performance of the speaker.

Speakers are air pistons that move back (on the negative cycle of the signal) and forth (on the positive cycle), creating different degrees of air pressure at different frequencies. The amplifier (either separate or built-in your radio), produces electrical impulses that alternate from positive and negative voltages (AC). This current reaches the voice coil inside the speaker, creating an electro-magnet that will either be repelled, or attracted by the fixed magnet at the bottom of the speaker. The voice coil is attached to the cone, moving it back and forth, creating sound

Hope this helps
Posted By: CorsaJohn Re: Air Flow - 8th Jul 2004 5:43pm
i duno my mates got the jbl gt3 sum directly underneath his 6x9 and he dusnt seem to hav any problem at all he mite b cumin to the meet with me tonight if i can get him to drive me an ill get him to show you
© Wirral-Wikiwirral