Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 2:48pm
Is there any product on the market, that you can put on alloys, that makes it easy to just rinse of brake dust, instead of scrubbing wheels.

Is there any product on the market, that you can put on car that stops tar sticking to body work.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 3:43pm
I don't know of a product that does either of those but T cut removes tar from the bodywork and waxing the alloys helps keep them clean.
Posted By: Clever1 Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 4:58pm
Originally Posted by BurgerChips
Is there any product on the market, that you can put on alloys, that makes it easy to just rinse of brake dust, instead of scrubbing wheels.

Is there any product on the market, that you can put on car that stops tar sticking to body work.

A bit of decent washing up liquid on a brush (from the old fashiond brush and dustpan set) and a thorough scrub gets them clean.
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 11:05pm
I use this http://carproductstested.com/exterior-product-reviews/carplan-wonder-wheels-u/ Asda and Morrisons regularly have it on offer for £2.00.
Once clean put a layer of wax on your alloys then a simple jet wash will have them looking new wink
Tar can be safely removed with wd40 on a soft cloth wax wont really help with tar sticking to the bodywork.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 11:16pm
Thanks for all advice.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 11:19pm
My hubby got some MAguire's wheel cleaner from a friend for his birthday - the stuff is amazing! Bit pricey as far as i know from Halfords but he is very impressed with it xx
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 17th Nov 2012 11:24pm
Originally Posted by brittone05
My hubby got some MAguire's wheel cleaner from a friend for his birthday - the stuff is amazing! Bit pricey as far as i know from Halfords but he is very impressed with it xx
Everything in Halfrauds is expensive. I feel like i've been mugged when I leave there.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 18th Nov 2012 12:51pm
Try Mr Sheen on your alloys, let it soak in and clean off with a cloth, also try some petrol on a cloth mechanics use this to clean the inside of brake hubs.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 18th Nov 2012 3:04pm
Baldy has the correct idea, waxing your wheels helps to stop the dust sticking.

There is also a product you can buy which fits behind your wheels to stop brake dust hitting the alloys. (disc shaped cover).
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 19th Nov 2012 12:14am
Whilst were on the subject of car care. Any tips of how to get them nasty greasy smears that really show up on ye windscreen when it rains..
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 19th Nov 2012 10:43am
It depends what is on your screen/wipers that is causing the smearing try using methylated spirits to fully clean the screen and buy some new wipers.
Posted By: ConanG Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 18th Dec 2012 8:21pm
G101 is a great pro cleaner and has the advantage of not being acid based like wonder wheels. Can use it to clean plastics and as a pre wash spray. Alternatively give Kev of provalets a shout, he does a mint job.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 18th Dec 2012 8:39pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Baldy has the correct idea, waxing your wheels helps to stop the dust sticking.

There is also a product you can buy which fits behind your wheels to stop brake dust hitting the alloys. (disc shaped cover).
Ste I have been searching for these covers that fit behind wheels, but having no look, if you get a min could you see if you can find them and post a link please.
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 21st Dec 2012 11:10pm
I seen them in eurocarparts Birkenhead this afternoon I meant to get the name but was chattin with the guy who works there and forgot.
They have leaflets are as you walk in on the left hand side in the corner try giving them a ring smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Best way to get rid of brake dust - 22nd Dec 2012 12:02am
WD40....

Ive sprayed it on road car wheels for trackdays when the pad dust can get very hot and burn the paint on the wheels (It doesnt happen with race pads due to the friction material)

The oil forms a film on the wheels and the dust sticks to it - you can then just jet wash everything off when they get dirty.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral