Forums
Posted By: lazy_ben speed camera detectors...... - 8th Jul 2006 5:49pm
I'm thinking of getting a Road Angel Plus. I've had a few close calls lately and it wont be long before my luck runs out.

So.......
Have you got one?
Have you used one?
Are they reliable?
Would you reccomend them?

Answers on a postcard! laugh
Posted By: Scooby Re: speed camera detectors...... - 8th Jul 2006 9:48pm
I have a Road Angel but not the plus model. The plus model has all the features of mine and ALLOT more. Looks like they have made allot of improvments which makes the unit more "User Friendly"

You do have to update it often (Weekly) to be safe but it does warn you of all camera types, specs, mobile and fixed cams.

The lazer detector is not good, i have been lazered twice (That i know of) and the Road Angel did not detect it on neither occasion :cheers:

You may find this usefull Road Angel Plus info..........
Posted By: scoop Re: speed camera detectors...... - 8th Jul 2006 11:12pm
Id suggest getting a sat nav unit with POI loaded camera locations. My dads got one and it beeps and flashes red when ur 200 yds away from a camera location and tells u the camera type too,its well nifty
Posted By: lazy_ben Re: speed camera detectors...... - 9th Jul 2006 12:22am
Nice one fellas. I've been looking at getting the road angel plus since its wireless and one of the newer ones.

Ive seen about 4 or 5 speed camera traps by mine in the last week. The last thing I need is points.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: speed camera detectors...... - 9th Jul 2006 1:07am
'Road Angel' Sounds pretty lol
Posted By: Scooby Re: speed camera detectors...... - 9th Jul 2006 1:59am
Now theres a female point of view thumbsdown

Sat Nav based ones are okay however they are NOT as accurate, not kept up to date with the camera locations (even though i am subscribed to Tom Tom) and No Laser detecter doh

I run two units when travelling any distances, My Road Angel for speed camera's ect and my Tom Tom Sat Nav which has the latest camera locations from Tom Tom's website and many a time my Road Angel warns me of camera's and the Tom Tom Dosnt (Especially any newer camera's installed). However when i am passing a well established camera i have all sorts of warnings, flashing lights, voices (Ozzy saying "Heres another ****ing speed camera"), Its like a space ship raftl
Posted By: scoop Re: speed camera detectors...... - 9th Jul 2006 5:44pm
Laser detection is nigh on useless as theres a very very high chance uve been caught by the time the detector goes off.are laser jammers about?? theyre useful
Posted By: Steve285 Re: speed camera detectors...... - 9th Jul 2006 11:24pm
I have just bought a road angel 2 off ebay for 90 quid well worth it although my mate who is into this stuff reckons the micro pilot is the best
Posted By: MattLFC Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 12:22am
You can get laser jammers, but they are expensive and I think they are illegal (or soon to become illegal).

I personally have a Garmin i3 GPS system with downloaded speed camera database. It lists pretty much all speed camera's plus common temporary speed camera spots etc and it works well.

The updates to the database are every one - two weeks so it is quite good. The government are also being "very" careful about how many new speed camera's they put in place nowadays because of the public perception of them as a stealth tax and therefore there are very few new camera's being put in, so usually a speed camera detector is pretty much up to date for a long time except for the odd few.

Also, if you are keeping a good speed and not excessively breaking the speed limit for the majority of the time, then you won't have to worry much.

My Garmin is cheap as chips, it was only £199 when I bought it and that was last summer, so it will be even less now and the speed camera updates are free or £2 a month dependent on where you go online to get them.

Of course a speed camera detector should "only" be used as an aid to tell you where they are located, it should not be used for you to do 60mph in 30 limits and be safe in the knowledge that it will pick up every single speed camera and warn you about it anyway!

No speed camera detector is perfect and no speed camera database is ever fully up to date (even the governments own database can be upto 4 weeks out of date).

At the end of the day, does it really warrant spending £300 - £400 on a speed camera detector that will do pretty much the same job as a GPS system for ~£150, but without the addition of GPS navigation features.

And as stated already, laser detectors are nigh on useless, the only time they tell you about it, is usually when you have just been stung by one!

Hope that helps a bit smile
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 12:49am
uber essay by Matty there.. but helpful all the same.. i just say get one cas it sounds pretty lol

Shouldnt need one if you didnt speed, naughty tease
Posted By: Pomp Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 1:27pm
MattyC i saw one of the Garmin fingyos on ebay for £140 it was brandnew aswel!. i dont speed so i wont need one but if i do get caught i blame joe(beemerracer) he finks he is in the fast and the furious!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 5:29pm
pffft, i don't think......i know cool tease
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 5:55pm
He wishes.

tease

And AY! stop spamming this topic thing! you naughty people!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: speed camera detectors...... - 10th Jul 2006 6:37pm
Take note, Izzy, the queen of spamming has now spoken!
Posted By: Pomp Re: speed camera detectors...... - 11th Jul 2006 12:03am
Izzy my post menstioned the price!!! this means it is related to the topic.

Notice i only have one post and she has 2 posts but with this post i'll have 2 but she'll come back with more in no time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral