Forums
Posted By: Rossyboy sub stopped working - 18th Mar 2006 8:36pm
i finished my install the other day, it all worked fine got it set up so it sunds dead nice then before drivin home from work the subs stopped. there wasnt a noise they just stopped working. the amp is getting power and im immensely flummoxed by it. any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: scoop Re: sub stopped working - 18th Mar 2006 9:15pm
what volume was it at at the time,what volume had it been at recently,had u pushed it? has the protection circuit kicked in?is it disabled thru the head unit settings menu? are all leads still attatched(including earth) to make sure its not ur amp plug someone elses sub into it and run it at low volume,if it runs their sub and everythin else is fine u've blown ur sub
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: sub stopped working - 18th Mar 2006 9:20pm
it was at 10 (my headunit goes to 50), the gain on the amp is set at half. the loudest i put it was 20 this afternoon outside work, that wasnt for long coz i know subs need time to break in,
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: sub stopped working - 18th Mar 2006 9:23pm
they have been installed(and used) for about 7 or 8 hours all together so it should be broken in by now shouldnt it? its a twin sub enclosure, 2x10inch subs, neither of them work.
Posted By: scoop Re: sub stopped working - 19th Mar 2006 1:09am
are you SURE the amp is powering up???
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: sub stopped working - 19th Mar 2006 3:01am
What kind of wires did you use? And were the wires thick enough inside the box? I bought a shitty splx twin box a while back and fitted my JBL's into it, only to find that the wires in the box had fried after a couple of hours use!
Posted By: Dazza Re: sub stopped working - 19th Mar 2006 1:28pm
Dont be fooled by the wiring, its possible your amp is not earthed good enough or the power feed has been broken. Before you say 'the light is on' the amp can be powered up via the remote feed believe it or not.

That happend to me back when I was into installs, I completely removed the power cable and the amp still lit up with an earth and remote.
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: sub stopped working - 20th Mar 2006 12:11pm
its all sorted now. the earth wasnt in a good enough place, it was attached to painted metal not bare metal. cheers for all the help and advice though happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral