Forums
I've recently bought a 1999 2.0 ford galaxy and I'm lucky to get 30 miles from a £10 fillup..

The car sounds and runs ok but feels like it lacks a little power, doesn't feel like a 2.0 litre!

Can anyone suggest anything to get my milage up.

I don't know the history of the car, so don't know what work has been done on it.

Oil change?
Renew spark plugs / cables?

Thanks
Oh forgot, I can't smell any unburnt fuel whilst driving..
Posted By: Willo_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 5:59pm
Give it a full service, fuel filter, oil/ filter, air filter, plugs / leads, get a can of carb cleaner clean throttle housing out, and check you havent got fuel leak, as £10 for 30 miles, sounds really like you have a fuel leak.

If you have a mass air flow sensor, on air filter housing, give that a clean, with electrical contact cleaner, DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER ON THAT.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 6:20pm
£10 is not a lot of fuel to be honest, it costs £8 to fill a petrol can up.

Are you getting 30 miles and then the petrol light comes on?
I know it's not a lot. Put it this way, if i put £30 in i'll be lucky to get 90 miles out if it frown
Posted By: mrhanky Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:01pm
is that round town? if so sounds fine.
Straight runs. i picked it up from west yorkshire, £30 in and got me just about 100 miles
Posted By: Colgo Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:21pm
I had a 1995 one. It would do just over 30mpg on a run,around town I was lucky to get 20, so I dont think you're going to do much better. But as suggested a good service might help a bit.
They really are under powered especially when fully loaded.
the awful fuel consumption was the main reason I got rid of mine, I now have a 2.0 Turbo diesel one, that manages over 40 all the time.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:36pm
Should get more that 100 miles to £30 if driven reasonably however if it's just stop starts around town this affects consumption figures considerably.
My cars a 2.3 litre and probably around the same weight as yours, around town I average 19mpg but on the motorway when driven normally it hits 28-32mpg.

Tyre pressures can also affect fuel consumption.
Make sure your tyre pressures are alright.

Look for any sign of leaks around the return pipes and do as burger says.

Good luck bud, hope you sort it. happy
Posted By: mrhanky Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:40pm
Originally Posted by ShaunTheSheep
Straight runs. i picked it up from west yorkshire, £30 in and got me just about 100 miles

that's about 25mpg?? if it was all motorway miles sat at 65mph then i'd say it was a bit low, still doesn't sound that bad.

i had a new one for a couple of weeks, 2.0 petrol and it was a bit gutless to say the least.

service might help a bit but i wouldn't expect much over 25mpg on a run.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:44pm
Pm a member on here called pete_robbo, he has one of these and may be able to help you out.
Posted By: keving Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 7:46pm
I get about 400miles to £115, that's in a diesel X5
my 350z is even worse, but that's expected.

I don't think you're a million miles away with what you're getting. Most of the service iteam suggested won't make much of a difference to fuel consumption, but you should get it serviced anyway seems though you don't have any history. It will help the engine last.
Providing the car is running ok, the only service item that can effect consumption a great deal is the air filter, if this is very dirty. Easy and very cheap to replace. Plugs and leads won't help unless it is missing a bit, or is hard to start.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 8:08pm
oops...that's about 21mpg sorry, not 25.

Posted By: Salmon Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 29th Oct 2012 8:23pm
According to this table you are pretty much on average MPG for that model
http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/car-data/ford/galaxy/1999/estate/mpg
Posted By: MikeT Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 30th Oct 2012 7:18am
Originally Posted by ShaunTheSheep
Can anyone suggest anything to get my milage up.

Don't forget the obvious - check your tyre pressures. Even if only a little low they can knock down your MPG. You will improve things if you over-inflate them a little, but beware of increased stopping distances.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 30th Oct 2012 8:09am
check your brakes aren't binding other than that look at how you drive it.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 30th Oct 2012 8:12am
Originally Posted by mrhanky
check your brakes aren't binding other than that look at how you drive it.
like mine where binding, lol
Could be worse 40 miles to £20.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 2nd Nov 2012 12:59pm
But chris thats your toy car wink
But it gets used daily as well wink
Posted By: Willo_ Re: 2.0 Ford Galaxy - 30 Miles from £10 fill-up - 3rd Nov 2012 11:23pm
When i bought my car last sunday, there was half a tank of fuel, and i have done 255 miles, and it still says i have 46 miles left in tank, and thats a 2.0 litre focus.
Our mate has one of these and gets about that fuel wise on hers. We recently went over to gas - despite having a 4.0 V8 we still got about 35mpg on petrol though. Gas is half the price here ( we live in Norfolk now ) and because there is no proper "town" for about 15 miles in any direction or main shopping centre for 25 miles each way we tend ot get a touch more lol x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral