my car stereo is standard apart from a new HU. JVC KDS73Ik
k seen an amp with 400watt output
my HU says 45wx4.
so it would be compatiable with my HU?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400-WATT-SHAR...hZ008QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
am new to ICE so
any help greatly appreciated
Posted By: GazzA Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 3:25pm
HU has its own built in amp which is to power the front and rear speakers....

Keep ya front speakers plugged in, and if you have rear speakers unplug them if your planning on getting 6x9's

The amp which you'll put in the boot will power other things like 6x9's and Subs..
Just make sure that your HU has the RCA things in the back so you can use the HU and amp together to send the signal to the amp.
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 3:29pm
wat r RCA things? sorry just neva dun ice b4!
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 3:30pm
o yeh rear speakers simply unplug and are 100mms ones
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 4:53pm
wouldn't recomed a shark amp tbh very low rms output will run 1 350w sub alrite or a set of components or 6x9's but i would bother if u want more than that. wot u gona be running in ur car then??
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 5:40pm
just 2 10cm speakers and mayb a small sub just standard fiat ones r ****
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 8:36pm
that amp will be acceptable for a pair of replacement rear speakers,or a cheap sub.

I recommend u look into the best set of 10cm components or coaxials you can find,and run them off that shark amp. That will improve rear sounds tenfold,aswell as fitting some replacement front speakers (really recommend components) and change the speaker wire for actually phono cable not normal leccy cable like fiat fitted (run em off head unit built in amp) and you'll have quality sound in ur car for little cash

Add a sub if u want to REALLY FEEL the bass (but in doing so adding the weight of a small child in ur boot 24/7)
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 9:57pm
how much will all that cost, and how easy is it 2 do myself as i have no knowledge of electrical things like that? alot to pay sum1 to install for me?
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 10:43pm
it could cost as little as 100 quid for a system better than the fiat piss,or as much as u can afford for a system that will sound like somethin out of an audio-visual show stand.

Its a piece of piss to fit stuff like this and can take several hours to do properly,so its a fair bit of labour time but it IS possible to fit urself to a good standard,try and get a mate whos done it before to help u if u dont know what your'e looking for,but once u've seen one speaker removed and fitted u've seen em all (kind of)
Posted By: MrPhil Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 11:17pm
most ice dealers will be able to tell you how to wire an amp up, basic electrics mate.
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 22nd Jun 2006 11:27pm
theres 2 or 3 guides knocking about here telling u how to wire an amp up aswell. Use the seardch feature on the bar at the top of the forum and search for. "Amp wiring"

My guide

Lawtons guide
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 2:29pm
ok right, do all 10cm speakers have a clip so you can plug them str8 into ur existing system? coz i have seen a set of kenwood 10cm components for £15.
what i reli need is someone to come luk at my speakers and HU and tel me if what i wana buy will be worth it!
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 2:44pm
type the item name into google and it'll give u a spec,post that spec up here.

There shud be the plug on all 10cm speakers but if not its easy to adapt it to fit
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 2:53pm
amp...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180000627764&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

speakers...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320000113164&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

HU...http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/electronics/car-audio/jvc-kd-s731r.htm
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 3:26pm
Theres cheap then theres cheap mate. The following statement is my opinion and u can ignore it if u want

Those speakers are a waste of time and amplifying them is just pissing money down the drain. For the cost of that set-up u could get a better set-up without using an amp. TBH u'd be best getting a better set of speakers and just running them off the head unit,as the head unit amp can happily power speakers as cheap as those,or similarly cheap ones. I ran 6.5" type S co-axials off a 45x4 head unit and it took em more than loud enough without distortion

Spend a few quid more to get better quality IMO

Any reason why u chose that particular head unit?
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 6:23pm
i didnt came with the car wen i bout it from a garage. would you recommend the amp though but just better quality speakers? any suggestions?
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 7:08pm
the amp could be good with more powerful speakers. The thing to do with speaker amps is MATCH THE RMS RATING.

So if u get this amp ( click to see )

then get at least 100W RMS 10cm speakers

Id suggest changin ur head unit if u want an amp tho as that head isnt very amp compatable.

But TBH a head unit can control ur speakers for u with no problems. ur obviously not after a deafening system so just run speakers off the H/U amp.And if u want a sub i recommend u get a new h/u and a sub/amp deal
Posted By: Focus_Alex Re: my ICE - 23rd Jun 2006 8:52pm
if you are getting new front speakers then amp them or you are wasting them, simple as.

if you are planning on getting a sub then forget the 6x9's in the shelf, in fact i would forget 6x9's full stop as to be quite honest rear speakers arent needed in a decent in car set up unless you need a little rear fill.

powerfull rear speakers will drag the sound stage behind you and lets be honest, you dont go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage do you!?

by advice to you, if you are on a budget, would be to go to www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and click "promo packs" - grab yourself the best sub/amp/box/wiring kit combo you can find and then when you have this then start saving for some new front components and a 2channel amp to power them with.

you then have a decent set up!!

if you are looking to put your windows down, make some noise and have people look at you then get some 6x9's and stick them on your shelf, but if you actually value your ICE and sound quality then dont!!

mr scoop2004, if you think that your car audio sounded good then you clearly have never heard a half decent set up... eh will!?
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 24th Jun 2006 12:31am
true ur system is immense.cant afford that sort of thing but my god. it thumps!
Posted By: scoop Re: my ICE - 24th Jun 2006 11:31am
Alex, assassin is after advice on a budget system so im suggesting things he can buy on the cheap that will at least sound better than the fiat stuff. My system was a budget one and sounded great at comfortable volumes,who wants to push the volume over 80Db all the time anyway,and my system was easily capable to push out clean sounds at the levels i listened to it at.

I have been in a 106 GTI that had a stupid amount of money spent on 3 speakers and that was immense (but u'd never have it at that level all the time)

It had a 600 quid alpine H/U
400 pound components
600 pound amp
400 pound 12" sub
Fully sound deadened with dynamat style stuff

That was immensely loud and clean and the sound pressure waves resonating between my glasses and my face made me fear for the safety of my eyes (i thought the glass was gonna shatter)

And at a picnic you could (and we did) sit behind the car with the boot and doors open and think u were at glastenbury (well............almost)
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 24th Jun 2006 1:11pm
focus_alex...would these work well with the amp..http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenwood-10cm-kfc1060-coaxial-car-speakers-NEW-ITEM_W0QQitemZ180001241014QQihZ008QQcategoryZ18799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 24th Jun 2006 1:34pm
ALex...tuk ur advice http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4849 and http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4830 are going to be what il aim for
Posted By: Focus_Alex Re: my ICE - 26th Jun 2006 12:10am
thats definitely budget stuff, £20 for speakers isnt a lot - my advice would be not to be in a rush to go out and buy it and save up a little as if you dont get it how you want it the first time, you will only want to upgrade which will cost you more than saving the first time.

id say with car audio you get what you pay for - the mac audio stuff will get you some bass, no doubt about that, and will be an improvement, but also bear in mind that you will need a wiring kit for it too.

if you buy that and a wiring kit, you will be £200 down once fitted and you will have a half decent set up, a definite improvement.

its hard on a budget, i appreciate that.
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 26th Jun 2006 12:12am
true. Blah. well need a good paying job over the summer!
will see how much i have left from hol and got a few application forms for summer jobs. only want system to last me uni then im selling car so doesnt have 2 be amazin.
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 26th Jun 2006 12:41am
sorry bout this, just found this and i think this is a hell deal. any comments welcome?!
http://www.hendoncarstereo.co.uk/cgi-bin/show_popup.cgi?prod_id=KAC6203KFCW2510&url=http://www.hendoncarstereo.co.uk/trolleyed/58/index.htm
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: my ICE - 26th Jun 2006 10:16am
if you want them i've got some Infinity components for sale. they are up in the for sale section for £75 ono.
Posted By: Focus_Alex Re: my ICE - 26th Jun 2006 11:12pm
Its gonna do what you want it to i think. So if you can afford it then go for it. Its not going to be competition performance though.

Infinity components, good speakers, thats what Matty has in his (i know... cos i put em in).
Posted By: blueassassin Re: my ICE - 27th Jun 2006 12:38am
o right sound
il go for the one including wire kit
thanx 4 ur help alex. greatly appreciated
Posted By: Focus_Alex Re: my ICE - 28th Jun 2006 11:14pm
no worries...

you know where i am if you need a hand and im slowly learning.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral