Forums
Posted By: jimbo4x4 10" Subs - 27th Sep 2004 8:32pm
My cr*ppy SplX subs in the truck box have blown up, after having them for all of 2 months. Motor world won't exchange coz I threw the packaging away (am I really expected to keep a box of that size lying around?) Anyway, looking for replacements,
I have found kicker 300 watts, £100 for the pair brand new. I've found XS 300 watts, £50 for the pair. Kenwood 700w, £80 pair. And JBL 1000's, £90 pair. What do you guys think is the best deal, and what's gonna give the best bass and last the longest?

I've read the cheapo XS one's will give nearly 3" of cone excursion! So would prob look the best in full flow. Can someone give me some guidance on what to get?
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: 10" Subs - 27th Sep 2004 9:14pm
ah i c another case of splx syndrome!! lol

it all depends wot u want out of ur system really.

u want quality then go 4 kicker

lound ness then kenwood or the jbl (jbl will be louder)

i have neva herd of xs but if ur sayin there a cheepo make
then i wouldn't really recomend then as u have seen wot cheepo makes do!!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 28th Sep 2004 12:55am
Some pics:

XS
[Linked Image]

Kenwood
[Linked Image]

Everyone knows what the JBL's look like
[Linked Image]

And the Kickers
[Linked Image]

Has anyone got any experience of XS gear? is it any good?
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Re: 10" Subs - 28th Sep 2004 11:30am
do these details help you any way jimbo

Elements 1-Way
Impedance 4Ω
Function Subwoofer
Magnet Material Strontium Ferrite
Manufacturer Part # XS-L1030
Powered Non-Powered
Surround Material Rubber
Type Component
Woofer Material Poly / Plastic
Key Features
Function Subwoofer
Size 10"
Miscellaneous
MPN XS-L1030

Power
Rated Power 120W

Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 400 Watt
Sensitivity 88 dB
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 10" Subs - 28th Sep 2004 6:20pm
jimbo mate, if your lookin to spend that amount of money go for whatever kickers you can get your hands on, Kickers deliver sum seriously good bass, il stick my neck out and say they are possibly better than JBL in MY opinion..lol

I think you can tend to get away with Splx as long as your using their amps and not much else, i dont rate their subs much at all!

Good look finding ya audio stuff wink
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: 10" Subs - 29th Sep 2004 11:56pm
kicker or jbl mate
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 5th Oct 2004 12:00am
Well I've got myself a pair of JBL GT4 1000Watts. I'm pleased with them but I'd be happier if they'd fit in the box! I'm gonna build an MDF Parcel shelf to shape into an install. I've got an idea of how it's gonna go, so will keep you posted on the progress. It might take a while to find the time though, but should have it done by the end of the month. smile smile
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: 10" Subs - 5th Oct 2004 10:56pm
cool, great stuff, look forward to seeing them installed.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 24th Oct 2004 5:45pm
Sorted! Told you it might take some time but I have finished it before the end of the month! I decided to follow the line of the old shelf as closely as possible so it doesn't look out of place, and I've covered it in black Bass Box carpet. I also nicked the tweeters out of the old splx box for better looks and sound quality. Looks mean, doesn't give out an incredible amount of bass as the boot is acting as the enclosure, but it's enough for me and the sound quality is spot on. Pics to follow soon!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 24th Oct 2004 6:12pm
I'll tidy up the wires when I can be bothered tease

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whaddaya think?
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Re: 10" Subs - 25th Oct 2004 9:59am
looks sound mate great job, still got loads of space aswell.

MORE SUBS lmao.

what did you do with the other subs, i will take them back for you if you want i can be very perswasive. :go:
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 25th Oct 2004 6:10pm
The subs came in the box, with the tweeters, for £45. Hardly worth taking it back now especially as it has no tweeters in it! Thanks for the offer though mate wink
Posted By: tonikeys Re: 10" Subs - 2nd Nov 2004 8:57pm
But you've mounted subs designed for a sealed enclosure onto a parcel shelf!!!????
WARNING!! These subs are running "free air" and will quite easily fall to bits if pushed.

Plus, the drivers will run much louder if put into a sealed enclosure.
Posted By: mikebroomy Re: 10" Subs - 3rd Nov 2004 12:26am
looks good but i'd listen to tony's advice
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 3rd Nov 2004 7:56pm
Originally posted by tonikeys:
But you've mounted subs designed for a sealed enclosure onto a parcel shelf!!!????
WARNING!! These subs are running "free air" and will quite easily fall to bits if pushed.

Plus, the drivers will run much louder if put into a sealed enclosure.
Thanks for the heads up mate, if this does happen I'll probs get some free air subs or make a box. Never knew that running regular subs as free air could actually damage them omg
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 3rd Nov 2004 8:00pm
Just a thought, is the boot not a small enough enclosure? I don't run the subs with the boot open anyway, and don't plan to after reading this bit of info!
Posted By: tonikeys Re: 10" Subs - 3rd Nov 2004 8:50pm
Nowhere NEAR small enough!!!!

Your boot is about 15 times too big. And, it is crucial that sealed sub enclosures are completely air tight. You've seen subs mounted into boxes right?...well that's about how big they should be. Most sub manufactures will specify exactly how big these boxes should be. Slightly too big or too small will make a big difference in sound quality and volume.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: 10" Subs - 3rd Nov 2004 9:09pm
k, cheers mate. Just found this info on them:

JBL knows that everybody has different tastes in bass — that's why they designed GTO Series subwoofers to work great in sealed, vented, or bandpass enclosures
Can you tell me what a bandpass enclosure is? And what are the benefits of havin different styles of boxes? Thanks happy
Posted By: tonikeys Re: 10" Subs - 4th Nov 2004 8:04pm
OK, in brief...

Sealed... Sharper punchy bass (what I prefere), smallest box size, easiest to get the sound right.

Bandpass... More boomy bass and louder, harder to tune properly, boxes twice the size of sealed and more expensive.

Vented...sort of inbetween the previous two.

Not quite as simple as that, but that's it in a nutshell.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral