Forums
Posted By: ukpaul30 Breakdown cover - 18th Aug 2012 9:08pm
Hi all

Can anyone recomend any good breakdown cover companys please

cheers
Paul
Posted By: Mark Re: Breakdown cover - 18th Aug 2012 9:26pm
Which ever one you decide to use just right off your day. They all make you wait.

You shouldn't pay more than £50 for basic recovery and home start.

When you look up your insurance on those comparison sites break down cover can work out pretty competitive.

I can't remember mine off hand but it's not RAC or AA.

Posted By: cathie Re: Breakdown cover - 18th Aug 2012 9:43pm
I get mine with the AA through my bank account.
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: Breakdown cover - 18th Aug 2012 10:49pm
I use Auto National and have never had a problem with them all my call outs were dealt with under the hour with call back and text.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Breakdown cover - 18th Aug 2012 10:59pm
I have a decent cover with the RAC for when I'm stuck miles away from home and fairly sure that I'm going to need to be dragged a long way. They've always been there in under an hour, usually less than 30min and they call to let you know so you don't have to hang around in the cold if there's somewhere to wait nearby.
I also have a basic AA membership, may sound a bit daft but Its only £28, and if you go through a cashback site like Quidco you can get £21 back, so it's £7 for a year of roadside help, useful if you have a run of bad luck as most companies have a callout limit now to prevent abuse.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Breakdown cover - 19th Aug 2012 8:53am
we use the rac and have had no probs and no excessive waiting for them to arrive and the patrol phones you to give you an approx time of arrival
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Breakdown cover - 19th Aug 2012 9:21am
I was with the RAC for 21 years, never needed to call them out, then called them out twice (original fault re-occurred even after part was replaced) and my premium doubled ... what's the point of having breakdown cover if you are frightened to use it because you loose your 'no claims bonus'?
Posted By: Pussycat Re: Breakdown cover - 19th Aug 2012 10:40am
My dad was with the Rac for years,never made a call out until a few months ago, when he rang Rac they told him that they would not be coming out to him as he was "too close to home" (under 3 miles away)however he could update his policy and then they would come out.
My dad said to them that theyd never mentioned this when they d taken the direct payments from the bank each month ,and told them they shold have told him this.The Rac would not budge unless he took out the extra cover, my dad promptly cancelled his cover with them and has gone elsewhere-he was not a happy bunny.. somad
Posted By: malthebof Re: Breakdown cover - 19th Aug 2012 2:20pm
Try GEM just google them for their home page, they get the best independent reviews
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Breakdown cover - 22nd Aug 2012 1:12pm
I use Insurance Choice, I was recommended them a couple of years ago because their breakdown with home start is much more reasonable than the big boys.

http://breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral