Forums
Posted By: Maccakevin Cam and balance belt change 944 - 21st Jul 2012 12:46pm
Is anyone familiar with changing these belts on a 83 944. I'm looking at getting them done next month or so and need someone to do the job.
I have the belts, just need someone local and how much would you charge.
Thanks
Kev
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Cam and balance belt change 944 - 21st Jul 2012 4:42pm
message turnip on here. him or his dad will sort it
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cam and balance belt change 944 - 22nd Jul 2012 10:42am
have you thought about removing the balance shaft setup with a balance shaft delete kit???

there are plus points along with minuses too though

plus being a little more power and less chance of play in balance shaft wiping out the cam belt ...

minuses are sometimes can crack the oil pickup tube ,caused by a little extra engine vibration due to bs removal ..

lots of info out there on the subject

and would also say be prepared for new gaskets for the water pump and also a new viton oil seal for the balance shaft and other small sundries when you get the belts done too ..
Posted By: Maccakevin Re: Cam and balance belt change 944 - 22nd Jul 2012 6:30pm
Just wanted them changed a precautionary measure really and piece if mind while I crack on with the rest of it.
As its gonna spend its time in crusin on the road not the track I think it's best to keep it as Porsche intended.
Thanks for the info thou. Is it a big job to swap belts over.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Cam and balance belt change 944 - 22nd Jul 2012 7:02pm
from what i remember it's not that bad a job to do.
loads of pulleys though and if any of them need replacing then it adds time to the job, you planning on changing the water pump as well? and you've also got odd things like the front crank seal you might as well replace while you've got it apart.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral