Forums
Posted By: Clive Which is better - 8th Jun 2012 2:09pm
Any petrol heads have opions on which of these is best, is the x4 electrods just a gimmick.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._553839_langId_-1_categoryId_165736#tab4

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_553905_langId_-1_categoryId_165736
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Which is better - 8th Jun 2012 5:56pm
started using the super 4 years ago, great plug.
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Which is better - 8th Jun 2012 7:47pm
snap the super 4 seems great
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 6:42am
You both say the super 4 are the best, but they are both super 4 lol.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 8:43am
first one is +39 wink
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 8:50am
happy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 9:11am
The super 4 - with 4 ground electrodes are just long life plugs for people who cant be bothered checking the electrode gap.

As they spark the gap increases as they gradually wear away. Thw spark always jumps the closest gap, so when one electrode wears away, it jumps to the next nearest. As there are 4, they last 4 times longer before you need to regap them.

However, plugs do have limited life, and Ive always found its best to replace the whole plug before you have regapped them that many times.... I also like to check plugs, clean, regap etc as checking the plug deposits as be a good indication to how well the engine is running and you can even spot problems depending on the condition of the plugs smile

I did buy a car with Super 4s fitted, and promptly replaced them with NGKs because you dont know how long they have been in the car due to them being a long life plug.

Id also recommend going to a motor factors rather than have Halfrauds losten your belt and have your pants down over the price of them wink
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 9:19am
Thanks.

Does any one know if a alternator kicking out 14.9v is bad, I have been told that is too high. bearing in mind, my car has the smart charge system.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 4:08pm
If you're measuring 14.9 at the alternator itself, that's about right, if that's the voltage at the battery (with the engine running) then yes it's a bit high.

First thing I'd check is the fuse box, make sure all the contacts are good.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 4:31pm
just checked and i did read it right, pull the three pin plug on the alternator then measure the voltage at the battery.
also check the condition of the plug/connections.
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 9th Jun 2012 10:43pm
Tried this, it shows as 19.5v, at battery with engine running, with plug connected and without connected.

Am still getting engine revs going very low, when ever anything electrical is switched on, even pressing brake pedal, makes revs drop.

I got auto spark coming to have a look next week.
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 10th Jun 2012 6:37am
Originally Posted by Willo
Tried this, it shows as 19.5v, at battery with engine running, with plug connected and without connected.

Am still getting engine revs going very low, when ever anything electrical is switched on, even pressing brake pedal, makes revs drop.

I got auto spark coming to have a look next week.
Sorry I meant 14.9v
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 20th Jun 2012 10:14am
Alternator has now decided to start kicking out 19.5 volts, even pressing brake pedal now so brake lights come on, makes headlights go dim, seems to be, if i switch on anything electrical on car, the revs drop, and lights go dim, not complety dim, but enough to notice it.

Should I just put new alt on it, as if it still does it with new alt, then i can not return the new alt.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Which is better - 23rd Jun 2012 9:59am
18 is maximum, your alternator regulator is duffed I think.
Posted By: Clive Re: Which is better - 23rd Jun 2012 1:57pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
18 is maximum, your alternator regulator is duffed I think.
I think your right, as even just pressing button to spray washer fluid, makes the revs drop.

New alt on Monday I think.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral