Forums
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 12:54pm
My wifes car was showing the fuel tank low warning light this morning so she went out to get some petrol, she reported large queues at three or four petrol stations - many with empty pumps.

She finally refuelled at Sainsbury's in Upton, is this due to panic buying brought on by the threat of a strike by tanker drivers? If so, it seems a bit premature as the strike is only a possibility at the moment and not scheduled until Easter
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 1:12pm
seems a bit pointless striking really if everybody just fills up before hand!!!the whole point of striking is to say we wont pay the prices the petrol stations are demanding,but to go out and put the petrol in before the strike just says we will pay it cos were scared!!!!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 2:50pm
i read somewhere that the army will be doing the fuel deliveries if the strike goes ahead

so there shouldn't any disruption in supply
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 3:42pm
Originally Posted by pokerchamp
the whole point of striking is to say we wont pay the prices the petrol stations are demanding,

no it isn't
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 3:48pm
The strikes are over drivers pay and working conditions, nothing to do with the price of the stuff....

Even if their strike ballot is successful, they arnt supposed to stike for a few weeks yet, so panic buying is fruitless.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 4:18pm
Guilty as charged m'lud, topped up so as not to get caught out. Had to do it years ago as well because I was travelling up and down the country on a course and couldn't take a chance on being left dry. With a full tank now though it should last me about 3 months unless there's a long trip to go on. Once the rush dies down there'll be no queues because everyone is full, except for those who didn't of course. What a panicky crowd some of us are.
Posted By: Bubble Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 4:29pm
Sainsbury was extra busy because the tills had gone off at the garage opposite...with a bit of panic thrown in when people see queues!
Posted By: Alonso Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 5:02pm
Sainburys petrol forecourt? Mad at 1pm. I've a couple of long journeys towards the weekend so had to fill up. Let's hope the strike never happens.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 5:15pm
My daughter needed petrol this afternoon and got caught in the madness at Sainsburys too! She was wondering what was wrong at the other garage, that answers that question thanks.
Posted By: rockster Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 7:28pm
Borough road shell garage had the bollards accross tonight at about 5pm.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 8:07pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
The strikes are over drivers pay and working conditions, nothing to do with the price of the stuff....

Even if their strike ballot is successful, they arnt supposed to stike for a few weeks yet, so panic buying is fruitless.

Its not so much as pay, they average about £45000 a yr which is more than the normal HGV drivers due to the danger of their work. They are mainly protesting on working conditions and companies not providing the correct training for the job. My cousins a tanker driver.
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 8:11pm
Shell upton now empty- what a load of idiots- more taxes to the government for nothing. I am low on petrol myself but could not be arsed waiting in line for 45 mins- most of the people that were draining the station probably only do 40 miles a week.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 8:56pm
Dont suppose antbody knows if Tesco Bidston has run dry?...was just gonna pop out ready for the mornin..dont want to waste my time.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 26th Mar 2012 10:28pm
Originally Posted by Chopper1979
Shell upton now empty- what a load of idiots- more taxes to the government for nothing. I am low on petrol myself but could not be arsed waiting in line for 45 mins- most of the people that were draining the station probably only do 40 miles a week.

I used Shell in Upton tonight at about 9pm. Car needed fuel and I put £30 in - didnt fill it. They had 2 pumps on, and only UL fuel. I got there and there was a que of 2 cars in front of me, when I had paid and as I was leaving the que was back up to the roundabout think
Posted By: Jinxi Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:16am
I hope you went last night at this morning after school run that Tesco had a queue up to the B &Q ! X
Posted By: Clive Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:32am
Am off to fill mine later, and 3, 5gallon drums, and its not just because of a strike that might not happen, I like to keep a load stored away.
Well if I am going to be sitting in a queue, its the right weather for it.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:42am
my plan is the same as last time

fill up as i need it

stations dry, tough luck aint it
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:43am
Yes you are right to scratch your chin mate.. I posted my post at 9.11pm so obviously was not at the pump at that time. If you got petrol then, they must have had a delivery maybe... I am glad you were able to fill your car up as I was not able to earlier on as I said- all the panic buying idiots - which you are obviously not as you only put £30 in lol.
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:43am
Here Here- sense at last.
Posted By: Clive Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 12:18pm
The Shell garage on Borough Road in Birkenhead reports it has now run out of pertol and diesel as has Shell Upton and does not know when the tanks will be refilled.

And a spokesman at the Shell garage on New Chester Road said supplies would not last the day.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 12:40pm
Originally Posted by Tony_1985

fill up as i need it

Yes!

Thought I was the only normal one here lol laugh
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 1:49pm
Queues are everywhere

I really don't see the point
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 3:05pm
i dont see the point in it either

the army are taking over the fuel deliveries, so the country isnt exactly going to grind to a halt
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 3:43pm
hopefully the panic people will have filled their cars to the brim soon and will not need to go and empty the stations no more giving us a chance to replenish.
Posted By: rockster Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 3:54pm
Originally Posted by Chopper1979
hopefully the panic people will have filled their cars to the brim soon and will not need to go and empty the stations no more giving us a chance to replenish.

And the tankers will no doubt be on the forecourts tonight anyway.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 4:18pm
At this moment in time im stuck in a queue about 20 mins long wait I'd say

By rock retail park

I wouldn't fill up but I'm in empty

People shouting at one another for taking a space on the pump

Absolute joke!
Posted By: puntoar Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 4:23pm
Ah well if i cant get to work because of no fuel,.so be it....the weathers lovely for a walk to the park instead!!!!!:-))))))))
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 4:34pm
HHahahHa that's the spirit puntoar smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Tony_1985

fill up as i need it

withthat
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 8:58pm
Idiot update... its 21:58pm and shell has a mass of gobshites arguing with eachother about who is next in line to the pump.. I am walking past thinking to myself I will need fuel in a day or so and have to endure the madness- over the top.. plain nutters lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Petrol -panic buying? - 27th Mar 2012 11:29pm
I saw a fight waiting to happen at the esso by the rock retail as people were waiting 30 cars long on the main roadentrance but it seemed a few cheeky buggers were nipping in from the wicks entrance raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral