Forums
Posted By: StuyMac WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 10:56am

Anyone tempted by a £27 MOT offer - don't be.

Ive heard of places being involved in many silly failures over the last few weeks, a lot of which have resulted in protests being made with the Ministry.

Failures include de lamination of tyres that are a few months old, ball joint rubbers being perished even after wishbones had been changed months previously, headlight aim, wiper blades etc etc etc....

They are then happy to do the work for you, and charge you another £27 for the retest. Dont be tempted by this false economy, £27 for the test and they COULD find something to fail you on!

Please Pm Me if you wish to know which garage i am referring to.
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 11:20am
I used to work at xxxx MANY moons ago and we were encouraged to do the same thing. Its all bonus related and quotas. Each month they HAVE to sell so many tyres, shocks, batteries etc. The depot hits target and they get bonus! I cringe at some of the things we were persuaded to do! Spray penetrating oil up inside the protective boot of the shockys was one and tell customer they were leaking and needed changing!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 11:46am
PM ME IF YOU WANT LEGIT MOTS £30
Posted By: 1971efc Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 2:56pm
after i got stung at xxxx a few years back for just under £400 ive made it known to the garage i use now that they dont get any mot failure work,, fare enough things break and need fixing but failing a car just to drum up income for your own garage is just wrong and low
Posted By: Anonymous Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 3:29pm
I've found that small independent tyre/brake outfits give much better and HONEST service. Invariably MUCH cheaper too! I avoid xxxx Sh*t, Associated Tyre Swindlers and the likes like the plague!
Posted By: puntoar Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 7:37pm
Minesdue this month, any tips locally then?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 7:51pm
mike hurst
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 8:00pm
I avoid xxxxx anyway due to the enormous amount of bad things I have heard about them over the years. Their reputation is mud.
I normally have other jobs or a service done on the car whilst its in the garage for its mot so I suppose there is less incentive to deliberately fail it as they are getting more money out of the car being there anyway.
Posted By: Cranky Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 18th Mar 2012 8:27pm
Mike Hurst. Haven't had an MOT fail yet and as a woman knowing nothing about cars, that's good enough for me.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 19th Mar 2012 10:53am
Never take your car to a main dealer Ive been rip off over a engine flush and a fail bulb.

Their a guy who got a garage by the art galary at the top end off slatey road /Balls road Had no problems with him..
Posted By: Sanchez Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 19th Mar 2012 1:19pm
Same to Stoneacre in wallasey, good service but not sure if they failed my front breaks for a laugh and they stretched the hand brake cable but wouldnt admit it.
Posted By: nicky Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 19th Mar 2012 6:46pm
Would definately recommend mike hurst! Took my last car to xxxxx once for the free brake test they were offering and they said my caliper was seized and needed a new one, and lots of other stuff needed doing at a ridiculous price. Took the car to a friend who then said there was nothing wrong with the caliper at all. Haven't been near xxxxxxxxx since, and then of course they were on watchdog a while ago for ripping people off.
Posted By: Mark Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 23rd Mar 2012 5:25pm
Please Do not Mention a Company by name, in context of a Grievance please. . .
We have received a notice by e-mail regarding this.

I represent xxxxxx and we noticed a comment from one of your members that we feel is libellous

The source is official, so if company names are being used in the context of grievance i will have no choice but to remove the topic from the public forum.

Grievances with a Garage should first be taken up with them.

Thank You Admin
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 23rd Mar 2012 6:55pm

coments removed, ive assured the complaintant im monotoring this topic. Its not worth anyones time to get caught up in any legal issues. If anyone does wish to know the xxxx in the posts, please contact the poster. Those coments in there context could be deemed as liable. Thank you for your understanding.
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 8:59am
Sorry to tip the apple cart mate. How can it be liable if its common knowledge? I changed the letters round as we all do with the swear words. My bad methinks.

Can i say ...A certain Tyre Fit Fitters who Cant Dance then? wink
Posted By: puntoar Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 9:15am
Obviously have something to worry about then dont they if they have to trawl forums for libel and not depend on decent word of mouth.
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 9:24am
A lot to worry bout mate!
I remember 15 lads, some managers and an area manager leaving suddenly because of an internal investigation of dodgy quotas!!
They actually went onto Woodchurch road once and accidently dropped some nails caus the puncture / tyre quota was down!!!!!
You cant make up some of the stuff thats been done!

Ive seen a YTS driving a customers car into a wall caus he was brake tasting it out the back (booting it and trying to handbrake it before the wall!!) just after a major brake rebuild.....BUT he never pumped the brake up after the rebuild to get the pressure up!!!! Was a mad dash that day to find a bodyshop who could do a frontend and respray before next day!!!

I think I should do a story a day.....OR A BLOODY BOOK!!

Run a poll to see if you want any more stories...LOL
Posted By: puntoar Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 9:36am
Jeeees thats bad, just dropped mine off today after the recommendations on here
Posted By: StuyMac Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 10:01am
Of course its only a matter of time before these places now get investiagted my the ministry. With everything now being logged by computer on databases, they will see the average pass / fail rate of an area, and these places will stick out. They will also see failure codes being used for various items, again, there will be average for certain areas so certain codes will stick out.

I think the moral of the story is to go somewhere for an MOT that someone has recommended, or somewhere you have been before and know will give you an honest test.

....dont be tempted by these offers of a cheap test as it will generally cost you more in the long run. These places generally arnt interested in repeat custom either, they just want to sting you for say £500, rather than a £50 test each year over the next 10 years.....

Its amazing the number of people Ive heard of using the place I was talking about in the first post (This isnt the same place where the fitters cant dance) only due to the cheap test - £27 However, they all seem to walk away with the bill for the first test, £27, a list of jobs, plus £27 retest. Yet, when taken to another garage the car passes - I know everyone is tightening belts, but dont get tempted by this false economy!
Posted By: puntoar Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 10:39am
Thank you for the advice guys, I was very tempted with those offers but in the end stayed away, just had a phone call from Callows, car has passed!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 11:13am
xxxxx....!! Got a few stories bout them too!! Would never take a car of mine to them. For MOT`s I reccomend either Walshes or Prenton Car Care (Think called!)
xxxxxxx on here is the Mot inspector there! ( he also worked at the place they cant dance too!!)
Posted By: Sanchez Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 11:22am
The recent car I bought came with a 12 month ticket from xxxxx, here is why it should never have passed (obviously a blag mot)

1. rear number plate light holder abscent (resulting in no where to even put the bulb)
2. Both head lights didnt even create a beam pattern to light any part of the road, mainly because the bulbs were not even clipped in, just resting in the holder.
3. wipers were so bad it was pointless putting them on
4. side light bulb abscent

And a shed load of minors that im not sure on whether or not they were a pass or fail.
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 6:26pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
xxxxx....!! Got a few stories bout them too!! Would never take a car of mine to them. For MOT`s I reccomend either Walshes or Prenton Car Care (Think called!)
xxxxxxx on here is the Mot inspector there! ( he also worked at the place they cant dance too!!)

Moderator, please explain why the name was xxxx on mine but the post above wasnt! I didnt say anything offensive about the company or anything liable, Bit off I think Mark, Thanks

Because the Stories you mention are purely hearsay and liable to be posted in such away. If you were to have "proof" of the Stories and Validated, then they could stay. Hear say is liable on a internet forum. Your first reaction as a company owner would be to get the Hearsay comments removed and then say prove it. Its not a road any of us want to go down. Expense and Time. As frustrating as this is, this topic is under review by a complainant and i have to abide by the rules too. I'm trying to play middle man and allow the Topic to continue with out company names in a Negative light without proof. Members can private message you if you wish to disclose the company name. Please try and see this from both sides. Cheers Admin
Posted By: mrhanky Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 24th Mar 2012 8:09pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Of course its only a matter of time before these places now get investiagted my the ministry.

ask most testers and they'll tell you how easy it is to spot a 'ministry' car even down to having so written on the underside of the car when it goes in for test wink
Posted By: hoseman Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 25th Mar 2012 7:37pm
xxxxx on here is the Mot inspector there! ( he also worked at the place they cant dance too!!)

Moderator, please explain why the name was xxxx on mine but the post above wasnt! I didnt say anything offensive about the company or anything liable, Bit off I think Mark, Thanks

Because the Stories you mention are purely hearsay and liable to be posted in such away. If you were to have "proof" of the Stories and Validated, then they could stay. Hear say is liable on a internet forum. Your first reaction as a company owner would be to get the Hearsay comments removed and then say prove it. Its not a road any of us want to go down. Expense and Time. As frustrating as this is, this topic is under review by a complainant and i have to abide by the rules too. I'm trying to play middle man and allow the Topic to continue with out company names in a Negative light without proof. Members can private message you if you wish to disclose the company name. Please try and see this from both sides. Cheers Admin

Not hearsay as i worked at the first one who cant dance and saw what went on and even participated (to my now shame!!)
And the other one in Rock Ferry that was mentioned the thing actually happened to me!!
No hearsay so not liable!

I know your middle man etc, wasnt trying to cause ripples just having my say and mentioning what actually happened to me. happy
Posted By: Gibbo Re: WARNING - Cheap MOT Stations - 29th Mar 2012 9:50am
Its a shame that they feel the need to whine about people's opinions and get them removed, rather than come on and try and defend themselves and address the problem.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral