Forums
Posted By: Schuu Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:36pm
I need to put air in one of the tyres for my Zafira ( only been driving since November ) I dont have a clue how to use the little machine in the garages.

I was told to read the manual for my car, which I have done, and I am now more confused than before I read it.

Can someone tell me what psi is for this car ? I have added a photo of the numbers from the manual.

Thank you in advance.

Attached picture psi.jpg
Posted By: Clive Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:49pm
What size are your tyres, and what engine, also it should say on tyre wall what pressure should be in tyres.
Posted By: Schuu Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:50pm
I have no idea what size the tyres are lol, I dont even know how to measure them. Engine is 1600.

Posted By: Clive Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:51pm
Tyre size will be on side wall of tyre, it will be in this format
165/85/R-14 82-T

Posted By: Chorizo Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:55pm
From reading that its 32 all round with 3 or less people or 37 front and 43.5 with any more than that. So I would set it to 32.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:56pm
I have circled the tyre pressures for you If you have 3 passengers in then its 32psi each wheel and if fully loaded its the other reading 37 front 43.5 rear

Attached picture psi.jpg
Posted By: Schuu Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 12:58pm
I just went out looked, the side of the tyre says

195/65/R-15 91-V.

I never knew a car could be so confusing. Im dreading going to the garage to do it, I might just buy a foot pump so I dont look like a whally.
Posted By: Schuu Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 1:01pm
I knew you guys would help me out. Thank you so much =)
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 1:18pm
We all began somewhere - always best to ask.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 2:24pm
Also, check how your tyres are wearing. If they are wearing faster in the middle of the tread, decrese the pressure, if they are wearing faster on the edges, increase the pressure.

Check them every month - if the wear is even, keep the same pressure, but if you notice the above with regards to the wear, adjust the pressure by a couple of psi and monitor smile
Posted By: Schuu Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 4:53pm
Thanks StuyMac, I shall keep an eye on that.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Tyre psi - 24th Feb 2012 11:19pm
I've always put 32 - 34 in my tyres. Go to Sainsbury's on Woodchurch Road, it's free and you just have to put the number in and it does it for you. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 11:19am
tyre pressure by law always has to be written on the tyre itself (usually in v small print on the tyre wall)

and also worth noting that tyres do expand slightly as they get hotter when driving ,this is only minimal eg 1-2psi nominal though ...

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 11:38am
The pressure written on the sidewall of the tyre is the Max Cold pressure the tyre will take, and will usually be much much higher than what the car manufacture will recommend wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 3:07pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
The pressure written on the sidewall of the tyre is the Max Cold pressure the tyre will take, and will usually be much much higher than what the car manufacture will recommend wink

yes, and if you inflate them to that pressure, you'll get a very harsh ride indeed. There's no substitute, for ordinary road use, for the car maker's numbers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 3:58pm
i suppose this is all providing we have the original manafacturers tyre still fitted though right confused

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 5:15pm
Originally Posted by NON_CUSTOM
i suppose this is all providing we have the original manafacturers tyre still fitted though right confused

If you have the same profile tyre the pressure will be correct regardless of manufacturer. It is governed by the weight of the car on the wheel. Some very low profile tyres need higher pressure to prevent them bottoming out.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 8:41pm
I am not sure if it applies to all cars but a lot of cars have the recommended tyre pressures labelled inside flap that covers the fuel filler cap.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Tyre psi - 26th Feb 2012 11:40pm
Some have it on the edge of the drivers door.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral