Forums
Posted By: dave_h cat g driving license (road roller) - 1st Jan 2012 10:33pm
anyone know were you do such locally, cheers
Posted By: Moonstar Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 2nd Jan 2012 12:20am
Have you looked here first?
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/driverlicensing/whatcanyoudriveandyourobligations/dg_4022548
Posted By: Moonstar Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 2nd Jan 2012 12:23am
You don't say it is for steam but some useful info here which may lead to what you require.

http://www.essexsteam.co.uk/categoryg.php
Posted By: dave_h Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 2nd Jan 2012 12:51am
yer you can go to cat g once cat b (car) is obtained/ weather it steam or diesel doesnt matter over the age of 21

ive looked on that website but nothing regarding local testing and training
Posted By: dave_h Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 13th Mar 2012 7:04pm
how about cat H - tracks license for diggers and tanks?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 13th Mar 2012 9:18pm
I passed my Cat. G test a few years ago on a Fowler Road Roller. Owned by a museum I worked at. Spent weeks trundling around town with L plates on practising 28 point turns, hill starts AND emergency stops hahahahahahaha! (Throw it in reverse!)

Test was great. Testers walk alongside and tell you to do the various things. I was told by my instructor that it helps to have arms like an octopus. You are on the footplate alone. You have to maintain a decent fire, work the injectors to keep the water in the boiler up to the mark, open/shut the regulator, select the correct gear BEFORE you move off. Oh yes and steer it as well. Don't forget the hand signals too. Watch the pressure gauge like a hawk also.

The fright came at the very end. Questions on the Highway Code !! It's many, many years since I passed my car test. By pure chance I knew the answers. Stopping distance at 30mph - DREAM ON BABY !!!!

Yes, Cat.G covers steam or diesel. GO FOR IT !! It's a laugh! If you can borrow a steam roller you'll be black as night when you finish your test - BUT you'll have a grin on your face a mile wide !! Fred Dibnah Mk.2. Did you liiike that ??

Sorry. Long winded post.
Posted By: dave_h Re: cat g driving license (road roller) - 14th Mar 2012 11:05pm
wud love to do it but the problem is finding somewere local ish to do it, i cant be arsed with the admin of going all the way down to essex as thats the only place ive found
© Wirral-Wikiwirral