Forums
Posted By: ASE71 Fog light Bulb Replacement - 16th Dec 2011 11:20pm
Hi All

I have a 2010 Audi A4. The car has Xenon and LED front Headlights but the fog lights are the normal crappy yellow type.

Can i just change the foglight bulbs for xenon ones or will i have to change the whole fog light unit?

Also can anybody advise on the best type of bulb to get if its a simple swap.

Cheers

Posted By: Moonstar Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 12:35am
Having had a search around the net the consensus of opinion seems to be that low level yellow lights are the best in fog conditions. I am not certain of the legalities in the UK.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 12:22pm
I can count on one hand the amount of times I have needed my front fog lights in the past 15 years. Put yellow ones in if you want but dont, for the love of god convert them to HIDs (xenons as in gas discharge type like your main head lights).
I am willing to bet that your Audi uses H3 halogen lamps in the fogs.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 12:47pm
White or yellow fog lamps are permitted. Interesting that they are supposed to be dipped below the horizontal, I'm sure some manufacturers don't comply with that - but I suppose the get out clause is not to call them fog lamps.

SOURCE
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 5:04pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
but dont, for the love of god convert them to HIDs (xenons as in gas discharge type like your main head lights).

Why?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 6:08pm
Originally Posted by ASE71
Why?

Because you will blind every other road user, look like a complete chav and they will not be road legal either. HIDS are very bright and are supposed to be factory fitted with self levelling and headlamp washers and in most cases in projector type headlamp units that don't scatter the light where it is not wanted.
I am not saying that I am holier than thou though, I have an after market kit fitted to my dipped beams but I have been very careful to make sure they don't blind anyone and look road legal. Fitting them to fog lights would be really taking the piss and attract the attention of the law very quickly.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 6:16pm
Why?

I am not saying that I am holier than thou though, I have an after market kit fitted to my dipped beams

will be an mot fail after january(?) 2012
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 8:15pm
Why?

Because you will blind every other road user, look like a complete chav and they will not be road legal either. HIDS are very bright and are supposed to be factory fitted with self levelling and headlamp washers and in most cases in projector type headlamp units that don't scatter the light where it is not wanted.
I am not saying that I am holier than thou though, I have an after market kit fitted to my dipped beams but I have been very careful to make sure they don't blind anyone and look road legal. Fitting them to fog lights would be really taking the piss and attract the attention of the law very quickly.

Such aggressive replies......

I was only asking if it was possible because they look yellow compared to the headlights.

My headlights self level, the fog lights dont so i now understand it would not be advisable to fit HID's in the foglights as they would be too bright. And that also explains why there is no factory option from Audi for this.

But if your gonna reply to my question, in future do it politley, it costs nothing pal.

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 8:42pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
Why?

I am not saying that I am holier than thou though, I have an after market kit fitted to my dipped beams

No, front fogs arnt compulsary, so they wont be tested.

Im pretty sure the car being so new it will have a canbus wiring system to warn you of any bulb failures? Fitting HIDs will generally flag up an error, though you can buy canbus friendly kits, but they will be more expensive.

Maybe the best, and cheapest option will be to fit some High Vision Halogen bulbs, these give a slightly more blue / white light and give a better light for better visability smile
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 9:14pm
Thanks Stuy

Thats the type of helpful reply i was after.

yes the car has canbus. It even tells you if a number plate light is out....

I didn't even know you could get Whiter halogen bulbs so there is my answer, thanks.

Ive also been doing a bit of digging and its also possible to fit canbus friendly LED units to the foglights that wont be too bright, but ill see if the whiter halogen bulbs are any good first.

I just dont like the yellow, compared to the nice white of the headlamps smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 17th Dec 2011 11:52pm
ASE71 - if you read some of the arguments relating to white versus yellow light the consensus of opinion is yellow because of the spectrum of colours picked up in fog water droplets by white light into fog - making fog appear denser to the driver in the white light.

Posted By: ASE71 Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 18th Dec 2011 12:09am
Lets face it. They are no longer really fog lights...... I cant remember the last time i drove in fog. VW and skoda now use them as Day running lights..

I do around 40k miles per year.....

I usually put these on in the daytime, during winter, in very bad weather conditions on the motorway only.

The more light upfront, the better, i like to be visable.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 18th Dec 2011 1:58am
Why?

Who rattled your cage dude? raftl
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Fog light Bulb Replacement - 18th Dec 2011 2:00pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Who rattled your cage dude? raftl

raftl It does sound rather aggressive reading it back.

Originally Posted by mrhanky

Only if I forget to spend the 5 minutes under the bonnet it takes to convert it back prior to the test.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral