Forums
Posted By: deedee best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 12:36pm
i have just passed my test i am 24 and have been bought a 1.0 y reg corsa can anybody give me some advice on how to get a reasonable insurance quote any help would be appreciated
Posted By: Touchstone Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 12:46pm
Try this link to Martin Lewis's site. He has some good advice for searching for the best quote. Even slightly tweaking your job title can get your insurance down a bit.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-young-drivers
Posted By: AlexB Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 12:48pm
Bell/Admiral/Elephant were always best for me as a learner and even now as a younger driver, nobody can come close.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 1:03pm
i own a corsa and am with admirail....
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 1:44pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Even slightly tweaking your job title can get your insurance down a bit.

And it will also be fraud deeming your policy void so don`t bother "tweaking" your job title.
Because you are so young the police WILL check you over very closely including checking to see if you have told your insurance about any mods you may have on your car including exhaust end tips. Seriously, be careful.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 1:59pm
I found adding my older brother as a driver on the policy who has been driving 20 years with no claims helped bring mind down alot.
Posted By: alfiemag Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 1:59pm
Admiral do a multi car policy. I had a pupil quoted £2000 for herself mum shopped around. Got mum dad daughter for £1000. So moved over to Admiral

Posted By: AlexB Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 2:28pm
Originally Posted by DJ_Karl_David
I found adding my older brother as a driver on the policy who has been driving 20 years with no claims helped bring mind down alot.

Definitely. I've got both my parents on mine and it halved it.

They never drive it.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 2:33pm
Originally Posted by AlexB

Definitely. I've got both my parents on mine and it halved it.

They never drive it.

Yep my mum as a named driver still brings my policy down! She's never driven any of my cars though!
Posted By: TheDr Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 7:33pm

Insurance companies can pull some weird tricks with this, I had my partner added to my insurance when she was learning to drive, when I came to take her name off they quoted me a higher price, so I left her on, as a learner.

MAKE SURE that if you add anybody else to your policy YOU are still listed as the main driver, putting mum/dad as the main and you as a named may make the policy cheaper, but it's called "fronting", it's illegal, your insurance will be voided and your car can be seized, however, having somebody much older as a named driver on your policy can bring it down, a lot, and as the policy is for you as the MAIN driver with them having the ability to be insured on it should they need to use it, it's perfectly legal.
Posted By: deedee Re: best insurance company - 20th Oct 2011 10:46pm
many many thanks for all your comments it is very much appreciated
Posted By: phk68bay Re: best insurance company - 21st Oct 2011 1:00pm
im a name driver on my daughters with admiral multi car and both cars cost 1500 mine fully comp hers 3rd party fire and theft, i shopped around for about 2 weeks on the phone and internet everyday, best quote i could get. Her on her own was nearly 3000 go figure, i dont even drive her car, but having me as a name driver (not the Main) and insuring both cars has halved it.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: best insurance company - 21st Oct 2011 8:19pm
I found the co-op cheap this year, they aren't on comparison sites but I did save about £80.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: best insurance company - 21st Oct 2011 8:36pm
I had a thought the other day. If I wrote my own cover note promising to repair any losses for insurance if I was at fault for an accident, and left it in my bank-would that be valid in law? I'd only need to be accident-free for a couple of years and I'd save even if I wrote off a Rolls-Royce in the third year!! Insurance is now a legalised rip-off. No wonder kids drive without it nowadays. If we all refused to insure our vehicles until these parasites adjusted their rates, it'd send a message to them to toe the line. I'm surprised that the Church of England and the Roman Catholic church don't get in on the insurance scam. They'd make a fortune and would be able to rebuild all the roofs which have been under-insured!!
Posted By: mrhanky Re: best insurance company - 21st Oct 2011 9:01pm
you can do it that way, but you have to have access to a couple of million quid in case you have an accident.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: best insurance company - 22nd Oct 2011 8:16pm
Well-a couple of million quid would just make me bankrupt. Good reason to drive carefully, though, innit!! :-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral