Forums
Posted By: Clive Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 5:03pm
All of a sudden today coming back from Asda, my car just started revving itself, as soon as I put foot on clutch approaching junctions, lights etc etc, the car just revs itself, untill I push accelarator pedal to floor and let go, the revs then die down to tick over speed.

I am having to resort to turning engine off every time I am coming to a stop. By the way the car is a Fiat Punto MK2 1.2 8v.

Does any one have any ideas please.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 5:40pm
air pipe off
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 6:24pm
Originally Posted by Willo
All of a sudden today coming back from Asda, my car just started revving itself, as soon as I put foot on clutch approaching junctions, lights etc etc, the car just revs itself, untill I push accelarator pedal to floor and let go, the revs then die down to tick over speed.

I am having to resort to turning engine off every time I am coming to a stop. By the way the car is a Fiat Punto MK2 1.2 8v.

Does any one have any ideas please.

How weird...my car started doing the same thing today. I stopped at lights and it started revving on its own. I thought maybe I was leaning on it a little so took my foot clean away but it still carried on. It revved maybe 8 or 9 times getting stronger each time then just went back to tick over.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 6:32pm
Maybe faulty Lambda sensor, makes the engine thinks its not getting enough air so revs it.
Posted By: Clive Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 6:46pm
I just borrowed a Throttle housing unit from a mate and swapped it with mine, and it ran perfect, seems it was the Air Control Valve, so I stripped it down and sparayed it with a tin of carb cleaner, so it was all nice and shiny, like new, put it back on, and it runs perfect.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 6:54pm
Mass air flow meter, garuntee it's that, they always seem to go in the hot weather.
Posted By: Clive Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 29th Sep 2011 7:09pm
I dont think mine has one of them ste.
Posted By: Lisk090 Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 30th Sep 2011 7:42pm
Mk2 Punto doesnt have a Air mass/flow meter.
It has a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) located on the nearside of the manifold. MAREGATTI or BOSCH
Posted By: Clive Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 7:10am
Originally Posted by Lisk090
Mk2 Punto doesnt have a Air mass/flow meter.
It has a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) located on the nearside of the manifold. MAREGATTI or BOSCH
Didn't think they had a Air mass / flow meter. I have removed the MAP Sensor and cleaned it with carb cleaner, but made no difference.
The car is still not running right even with a clean throttle housing and air control valve, when I take my foot of accelarator pedal to change gear the revs go up a little bit and stick and then die down to tick over. Not as bad as it was, as before it was nearly red lining.

Am thinking I need a new throttle housing as the air control valve is sealed in throttle housing and not servicable.

I was thinking scrap yard but then am taking a chance, but to buy new am looking at £150, so it looks like am left with no choice but to get from scrap yard.

My Fiat ecu reader shows up no errors.

Nem MAP Sensor: £55.84
New Throttle Housing: £124.67

Attached picture 71714218.jpg
Attached picture OL500.jpg
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 7:31pm
Airleak?
Posted By: Clive Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 7:43pm
it was the throttle housing, I got another one on it today, and its running perfect once again. Car is perfect now, no faults nothing, time for a run to Bournemouth, next week
Posted By: Lisk090 Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 8:00pm
Your first pick show the MAREGATTI MAP sensor. Pre 03 if am right?
Was gonna suggest throttle body as the are common problems, not as common as the ECU lol but thats another story.
Glad you sorted your motor out. Have a good trip.

Lisk
Posted By: Clive Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 8:04pm
yes, 2001, i dont know why fiat made the throttle housing none servicable
Posted By: Lisk090 Re: Help: Strange Car problem - 1st Oct 2011 8:16pm
Who knows? cheaper to make? dont want you messing around with it? At least it's a well documented fault and plenty of them about the scarppy lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral