Forums
Posted By: Clive cheap tyres - 10th Sep 2011 11:19pm
Am after cheap new tyres, 165/70/R14/81T
any one recomend any where please, the cheapest I have found so far are National tyres £124
Posted By: mrhanky Re: cheap tyres - 10th Sep 2011 11:22pm
CLICKY CLICK
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cheap tyres - 10th Sep 2011 11:28pm
Those Continentals are a bargain, great grip wet or dry, turning or breaking and they do save a small amount of fuel which more than pays for them in their lifetime.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: cheap tyres - 10th Sep 2011 11:34pm
http://www.topgeartyres.co.uk/
I get part worns dirt cheap. Loads of tread and decent makes. Personally, great value for money on part worns.
Posted By: Clive Re: cheap tyres - 10th Sep 2011 11:39pm
thank you.
It will cost me £10 per tyre to get them fitted, so its still looking cheaper to go to National tyres £124 fitted
Posted By: ian81 Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 8:32am
Try the garage next to the bp station @ st James church
Posted By: dan0h Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 3:28pm
I can beat that hands down, £32.60 each, including VAT, delivered... -> http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....;Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So

Granted they are Nippon-Slip-Off's, but they are round and rubbery, and better yet, brand new.
Posted By: Clive Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 4:36pm
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?add_to_cart=Ordern&cart_id=61237367.110.4476&4|R-157985|32.30|Debica+Passio+2+165%2F70+R14+81T|226=1&ranzahl=4&dsco=110
£129, then £10 each tyre to fit £169, National tyres still works out cheaper
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 4:47pm
If you want fitted price try BlackCircles CLICKY , National tyres are usually the fitters (or at least were), the Continentals work out £112 fitted for the pair - there are cheaper tyres as well.

Personally I get part worns from Tyre Brigade on Beaufort Road, Birkenhead - £20 a tyre balanced and fitted, usually plenty of choice.
Posted By: dan0h Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 5:47pm
Doh, my bad, I thought that was a pair. Sorry!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 9:01pm
Why would you go for part worn or cheap tyres when they are the ONLY thing between you and the road?

Posted By: jenscho Re: cheap tyres - 11th Sep 2011 9:33pm
I'm getting a set of part worn tomorrow coz mine are getting vandalised, what's the point in me buying brand new (again) to find nails in them??!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 9:57am
Originally Posted by Nobody
Why would you go for part worn or cheap tyres when they are the ONLY thing between you and the road?

Not everyone has the money for new all the time. And to be honest alot is just as good as new. We all don't have it on a plate ye no..
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 10:01am
Im never going to buy a part worn ever again after listening to the guy at the pirelli garage in chester, these are roughly his words:

These are what keep you and your car safe on the road, if I could put these under an x-ray machine to show you the reason why these are parn worns compaired to a new tyre you would see where I am coming from.

It was then I decided to put a little extra cash towards new ones.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 10:02am
It wasn't suggested that people had it on a plate.

I don't.

But I'll always stretch to some decent tyres simply because if I need to stop as quickly as possible to avoid an accident, that extra few metres could be the difference between stopping and not stopping in time and it'd also annoy me if tyres proved a reason someone managed to crash into me.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 10:30am
Originally Posted by ian81
Try the garage next to the bp station @ st James church

St James' Tyres are good...
I use Tunnel Tyres on Freeman St, B'head (next to The Dock pub) - good choice, nice guys, reasonable prices.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 11:08am
Your own tyres are part-worn as soon as you drive on them, when you buy part worns at least they have been checked (there's no shortage of part worns so the garages have no incentive to sell dodgey ones).

There is the straight financial/quality/budget argument whereby for half the price you can be driving around on Pirellis instead of brand new chewing gum.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 11:46am
Fair point, I suppose its when people start putting part worn ditch finders on their car to save a few quid that it gets dangerous.

If I was buying a car second hand, I'd always pay attention to the tyres because I'd always have to wonder when else they were scrimping on if they were willing to transport their loved ones round on dangerous tyres.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 12:22pm
I only buy brand name, part worns with full tread and let me say that they are far and away the best value for money. I got 4 Michelin Pro Sport 3's with nearly full tread fitted for a lot less than 2 new ones not fitted. I previously had some Sunnew brand budgets, highly rated by others. I just found them to be scary, even in dry conditions and they lasted 6 months maybe 3000-4000 miles) before they all suffered tread separation. Never again.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 12:32pm
Where would you go for part worn tyres? Never seen them for sale anywhere I've got tyres from before.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 12:45pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Your own tyres are part-worn as soon as you drive on them, when you buy part worns at least they have been checked (there's no shortage of part worns so the garages have no incentive to sell dodgey ones).

There is the straight financial/quality/budget argument whereby for half the price you can be driving around on Pirellis instead of brand new chewing gum.

Lets think about it logically, These part worns must come from somewhere...
I wouldn't change my tyres until they hit around the 4mm marker so who in their right right mind would get rid of a set of decent pirelli's for no reason, Id get my moneys worth. Therefore any part worn with a good make have either wall damage or loads of nasty repairs in them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 12:59pm
I guess the also come off written off cars?

I'm not convinced I'd want the tyres from a car that's been involved in a smash.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 1:11pm
Many part-worns used to come from Germany, they had stricter tread depth than us but now have the same 1.6mm.

Quite a few european countries require the use of Winter tyres in winter and this sheds quite an amount of summer tyres that the owners either don't want to store or don't think its worth paying to put back on.

Some people just like to replace their tyres on a regular basis.

Some people only replace their tyres in pairs or even all four at a time.

Next time you get your tyres done, have a look at the discarded tyre pile.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 1:15pm
I'm genuinely interested in this subject. Where would I go to check out what part worns are available?

I have a slow puncture on the front nearside at the moment but I am also due to replace two rears which I was going to do at the same time. IF they have decent tyres available and I could make use of one until I get around to ordering from Blackcircles then I may do so.

I think I need to do some more research first though, I'd like to have a look at them too.
Posted By: Clive Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 1:19pm
One place I will never go again it Tyre Guys, they put all my tyres on back to front, it failed mot, i went back to them, they said thery never put them on.
My front tyres both seem to go bald on outside fast, i have had tracking done but still does it.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 1:32pm
I heard about them coming from germany aswell. I went to topgear tyres in ellesmereport not so long back for a 15, 205, 50. I also had two really good tyres in the boot to see if they wanted to trade them in and save me a few pennies. The owner said he would give me £5 for the pair as he buys them in for less than that.....

That got me thinking to my self why so cheap. before that I also swapped some 18, 220, 35 yoko's in against a set of 4 decent Pzero's with a bigger profile for a softer ride, but they never felt right on the car resulting in tram lining and alot of random steering, I literally had to concentrate on a straight road to keep the car going in a straight line (and no it wasnt cause I was high smile )

This place didnt even balance the back ones as they said it didnt need doing. My advice...its cheap for a reason.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 1:38pm
I need 2x 255/35/18 either Toyo T-1 Proxes at £170 fitted each or Pirelli Pzero at £200 each fitted.

Which would you go for? Any other advice gratefully received.

Posted By: mrhanky Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 2:03pm
go for the proxes wink
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 3:17pm
Got mine from Top Gear Tyres, cant say I had a problem the 3 time Ive been. Just IMO a much better option than crappy budgets for the same price. Balanced all the tyres I've had fitted.

The tyres perform better than the contis that were on the car (same as factory fitted) when I got it, so I am chuffed with their service.

A couple of notes though, stock is what they have, although you can rin if you are looking for something in particular. And cash only.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 3:33pm
I need 2x 255/35/18 either Toyo T-1 Proxes at £170 fitted each or Pirelli Pzero at £200 each fitted.

Which would you go for? Any other advice gratefully received.

Continentals from cost-co, thats where I would go bud! (pretty sure thats what you get from factory on bmw's wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:32pm
Costco never seem to be able to beat Blackcircles prices. I have gone to get them fitted before now and I've paid less fitted than the guys there would normally buy them in for.

I don't bother with runflats anymore as I think they ruin the ride.

Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:35pm
Blackcirlces it is then, although which mag did rate cost-cos own bran (kirkland) just as good as continentals..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:38pm
Kirkland own brand tyres?

I don't think I'd trust them.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:53pm
do not get whanlehs or any cheap tyres from china as they develop the loudest tyre splap noise ever
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:55pm
Kirkland own brand tyres?

I don't think I'd trust them.

Thats what I thought but which mag said they where really good and didnt see the point in spending almost double for the same thing..
Posted By: Sanchez Re: cheap tyres - 12th Sep 2011 4:57pm
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2424503

but after reading this black circle come up trumps!
Posted By: Clive Re: cheap tyres - 14th Sep 2011 1:47pm
Does any one know any where that will beat this price from National tyres £80 for 2 tyres 165/65/R14/79T, price includes balancing & new valves
Posted By: paulieg Re: cheap tyres - 24th Sep 2011 7:38am
I've used the part worn place on Cleveland St. a few times when I went in the other day I got some Bridgestone runflats fitted for £35 with lots of tread left on them still
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: cheap tyres - 24th Sep 2011 7:40am
Runflats?

That's really cheap.
Posted By: AlexB Re: cheap tyres - 24th Sep 2011 8:02am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Runflats?

That's really cheap.

Incredibly!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral