Forums
Posted By: Clive Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:17pm
I had a new clutch put in my car 3 weeks ago, as the crank shaft oil seal had gone and leaked oil all over clutch, the garage told me he put new oil seals on and put new clutch in.

Now my clutch has started slipping bad, i parked it up and looked underneath, and oil is pissing out inbetween gear box and engine, and leaked oil all over clutch.

When i go to garage again in morning, if he says he wont do the job correctly, and stop oil leak and now he needs to put new clutch in again, if he wont do it, who can a go to to complain.
I supplyed the new clutch kit that he fitted.
Does he have to fix this.?
Posted By: carmar Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:31pm
what garage was this
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:34pm
am i allowed to say on here
Posted By: johncon Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:37pm
why are you putting the garage down before you have even spoken to them ??????? unless it is cowboy outfit you went to most reputable places will look after you. plus faulty parts are not unheard of you know !!!!!
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:39pm
am not putting garage down, am just asking, IF he will not repair it, what can I do.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:41pm
You do get duff seals sometimes and it can be difficult to tell visually until its done a few miles, on the other hand I have seen them rammed on without any lube in sight which is asking for trouble.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:43pm
I will go see garage in the morning, and see what he says, hopefully he will be a decent chap, but i can not see him purchasing a new clutch to put in it.
Posted By: johncon Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:44pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
You do get duff seals sometimes and it can be difficult to tell visually until its done a few miles, on the other hand I have seen them rammed on without any lube in sight which is asking for trouble.

again reputable garge or cowboy outfit ? still speak to them first
Posted By: carmar Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:50pm
its up to you but sounds familar
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 3:52pm
well I wont post the garage up, he may turn out to be decent and repair it, pm me and i'll tell you if its the same garage
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 4:16pm
The old-new plate can be cleaned with brake-cleaner, some oil may continue to leach out after cleaning but usually it will burn off as its quite small quantities - don't purposely try and burn it off in one go, it speeds up the leaching and you'll end up having to use brake cleaner again.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 4:34pm
It wasn't me haha
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 4:55pm
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
It wasn't me haha
bIT PARA THERE CHRIS? wink
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 4:57pm
Me, nope, :lol:
On a serious note if the old duff seal has scored the crank chances are slim just fitting a seal will do it
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 5:30pm
No it wasent Chris, alltho I wish I had of let him do it, if the garage wont repair it, then i will cut my loses and scrap it.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 8:25pm
Willo let me know if it's getting scrapped I've a good man who'll come to u pay scrap value at least and take it away
Posted By: tweetypie_5x Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 9:26pm
Give trading standards a call they will be able to tell you your rights and atleast then you will know where you stand?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 21st Aug 2011 9:29pm
Originally Posted by Willo
No it wasent Chris, alltho I wish I had of let him do it, if the garage wont repair it, then i will cut my loses and scrap it.

Don't scrap it mate.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 22nd Aug 2011 5:23am
I really dont want to, as i have had so much work done to it, all depends on what garage says, am going to see him at 8am this morning
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 22nd Aug 2011 6:59am
Update:
Just been the garage, he told me to bring it in first thing Tuesday morning and he will sort it out for me. Once its done I will name the garage, as then they have showed they are genuine.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 22nd Aug 2011 7:24am
Great news smile
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 7:23am
Update: Car is in the garage now.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 9:50am
Garage just phoned me, box is out of car, i went to see it, and not good news, the spline on gearbox that slides in to clutch, is all wobbly, so bearing has gone and took out the seal, gear box oil had soaked the gearbox, i have just got a recon box and garage is putting it in now with new clutch.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 9:54am
the spline on gearbox that slides in to clutch, is all wobbly, so bearing has gone and took out the seal, gear box oil had soaked the gearbox

Thats what happened to my burds car, i cleaned the clutch and put a new gearbox in, it slipped a little (it had a new clutch 6 months prior) but then was okay after a week. smile
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 9:56am
the garage said, they did not want to put same clutch back in, and then put another new one in as its slipping further down the line, so he said he will put a new one in free of charge
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 10:06am
that sounds like one crackin' garage. a brilliant change
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 10:23am
I agree,, and i take back what I said about duff job,
and this is the garage.

Mike Hurst
116 Seabank Road
Wallasey
CH45 1HF
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 10:28am
He's known as being good. I think you'll find plenty of decent comments about him.

Good outcome anyway.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 10:31am
Mike is a really good guy,has looked after our cars for years. Would recommend him to anyone.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 10:52am
I have allways gone to Mike Hurst, for all car work and mot's on all my past cars and present one.
I remember once I took my fiesta there for mot, and it failed, he told me for it to pass it would cost £187, I said go ahead and do work, the next day I went to pick it up, and he said he had made a mistake on price, ( i thought here we go price increase) but i was shocked when he said it's only £110.
Now how many honest back street garages can you say that would do that.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 6:52pm
Car is all done, thanks to
Mike Hurst
116 Seabank Road
Wallasey
CH45 1HF
Posted By: johncon Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 7:01pm
What did I say about puting them down before speaking to them !!
Why does everone asume the worst of garages they are not all bad.

It is the same as everything good and bad in all trades !

thumbsup
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 7:04pm
I admit I was wrong to jump the gun, lesson learnt
Posted By: reddragon Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 23rd Aug 2011 8:21pm
gud to hear your cars sorted Willo grin
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 27th Aug 2011 7:09am
New problem yet again, when I turn right there is a clicking noise from front offside wheel, and there is thick greese all splattered all over the inside of both front wheels, does this mean the cv joint rubbers have gone and cv joints need replacing.
Its starting to look like am rebuilding this car bit by bit. When will it end lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 27th Aug 2011 7:33am
Sounds like you need a driveshaft mate.
Only a 20 minute fix with the right tools.
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 27th Aug 2011 7:41am
Thanks, I wont bother getting them from scrap yard, I will buy them new,, one less thing to worry about. Its a bloody money pit this car.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 27th Aug 2011 9:51pm
At least your getting it all sorted thou! Better than letting everything pile up, nice one mate cracking result might be worth filling joint with cv grease first though, I have some you may have smile
Posted By: Clive Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 27th Aug 2011 10:11pm
I have just bought today 2 brand new drive shafts, and fitted them, i have nearly replaced every part on this car for brand new parts, i think it's time too sell it now and move on to the next car, i will get 12 month t&t on it first. thanks for the offer Chris, but its sorted now.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 28th Aug 2011 5:57pm
Nice one mate.
Posted By: johncon Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 28th Aug 2011 6:27pm
I have just bought today 2 brand new drive shafts, and fitted them, i have nearly replaced every part on this car for brand new parts, i think it's time too sell it now and move on to the next car, i will get 12 month t&t on it first. thanks for the offer Chris, but its sorted now.

why get rid just when you have sorted it out you dont know what problems the next one might have ?
joyride
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 28th Aug 2011 9:55pm
Originally Posted by johncon

why get rid just when you have sorted it out you dont know what problems the next one might have ?
joyride

Exactly my thoughts smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 29th Aug 2011 9:35am
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
At least your getting it all sorted thou! Better than letting everything pile up, nice one mate cracking result might be worth filling joint with cv grease first though, I have some you may have smile

If the gator has failed then thats pointless as the grease will just escape again frown

To change the rubber you'd have to remove the CV, so if its clicking, just swap the CV - there is probably nothing wrong with the actual shaft wink
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Should a garage fix there problem. - 31st Aug 2011 8:13am
I would've just bought a new rubber gaiter if it's split? The clicking is dry bearings in the CV joint.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral