Forums
Posted By: detsi Advice please - 15th Aug 2011 8:19am
Since I retired I only use my car for short local trips. Consequently I clock up 1000/2000 miles per annum. Years ago I believed that a car needed a bloody good blast up the motorway once in a while to 'clear the tubes', whatever that meant. Is this still appropriate these days ?
"2009 Yaris, 10,000 miles.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Advice please - 15th Aug 2011 8:26am
No, just keep on top of the oil.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Advice please - 15th Aug 2011 8:58am
If you're retired then you have loads of time to take it for a good blast every now and again.
Posted By: saunaman Re: Advice please - 15th Aug 2011 10:57am
Hi Detsi,
When an engine is run for continued short periods moisture can build up and can contaminate the oil. A decent run means the engine gets up to its optimum temperature and this does mean the moisture is "burnt" off.Short runs mean the engine never gets hot enough to do this so I believe a good run can only be good for the long term.

Hope this helps!!
Posted By: detsi Re: Advice please - 15th Aug 2011 11:56am
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Advice please - 16th Aug 2011 5:49am
Originally Posted by detsi
Years ago I believed that a car needed a bloody good blast up the motorway once in a while to 'clear the tubes', whatever that meant. Is this still appropriate these days ?

Yes. But get an oil change first and make sure the car is fully warmed up before you take it on the motorway. You don't have to thrash the tits off it, just give it a good fast run. You should also know that a lot of short start/stop runs will seriously shorten the life of the engine.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice please - 16th Aug 2011 2:40pm
Agreed, you should always give a car a good run at least once a month and more frequently in winter.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral