Forums
Posted By: DavidB Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 4:28am
Am I right in thinking you can ride a bike up to 125cc with a normal driver's license (with A category)?
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 5:59am
Nope, you need your CBT. Bike training. Back in the day we all got our provisional bike license with our car but not any more. You do get the provisional entitlement but without the CBT you are illegal.
Posted By: Historybook Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 6:43am
i always thought that it depended on if you held a licence with a given entitlement before the changes came in !.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 7:36am
Most of the relevant bumf is here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 3:41pm
if you passed you car licence before a certain date think 2001 you are entitled to ride up to a 50cc moped without L plates and can carry a pillion anythink over this then you have to take a cbt
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 27th May 2011 5:14pm
I tried to resolve this HERE I think TheDr response at the end clears up most of my questions.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Riding a bike with driver's license - 28th May 2011 4:57am
Originally Posted by TheDr
I was speaking to someone at DVLA yesterday (need to update my picture, be aware your licence can be void if you don't do this...)

If you passed your full car test before Feb 2001 you can ride a moped without taking a CBT, not display L plates and carry a pillion.

If you want to ride 50cc or above (up to 125cc) then you need to take your CBT and display L plates, you cannot carry a passenger, or go onto motorways, Mopeds are not allowed on motorways.

Thanks. I passed in 1997, so that's good. I wonder what the insurance is like on a 50cc?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral