Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 13th Apr 2011 8:00am
Although I've been told my Pinz is quite a "quiet" one, on a long road journey I'm thinking about some ear plugs, ear defenders or even noise cancelling headphones.

There's an air cooled 2.5 ltr. 4 pot lump sitting in a box alongside the driver and along with the loud transmission whine from the various gearboxes and hub boxes, the fun goes out of driving the beast after a while.

To the point.... I've been told by a couple of folk that the wearing of plugs etc. in BOTH ears is illegal. Others say that is a load of bilge.

Can anyone point to any detailed legislation on this ?

Thanks. (Please speak up when you reply !!!)
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 13th Apr 2011 8:35am
Get drumming ones they block out the nasty frequenceys and let a lot thru. 25- db reduction. Every 6db is halfing the sound pressue levels (SPL)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 13th Apr 2011 9:26am
Deaf people are allowed to drive, so i can't see a problem with ear defenders or plugs.
As an alternative, have Mrs Bert in the seat next to you and you will gladly return to the noise of the Pinz.

However the pic below might just be what your looking for.

Attached picture Cool-Earmuffs-Winter-Accessory-Trend.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 13th Apr 2011 10:20am
I think it is illegal, just like wearing a patch over one eye unnecessarily or using a steering wheel spinner/knob. Its ok for disabled people to use them out of necessity, but not voluntarily.

I don't think there is a specific ruling but could come under due care and attention type rules - subjective stuff.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 13th Apr 2011 2:06pm
If that's Mrs. Bert then you're a wikishagginglegend.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Ear defenders/ear plugs etc. - 14th Apr 2011 9:09am
Thanks for the inputs folks. I've had a trawl round and as far as UK laws go, there doesn't appear to be any specific ruling on this. As you suggest DD, if something went wrong AND you had disabled the Hearing Dept. your insurers could tell you to go away in short, sharp jerky movements ! They would pounce on any excuse as we know.

I like the idea of noise-cancelling Mrs Bert though ! The white fluffy jobs would write off what remaining street cred I have. The blonde would be useful in the back of the Pinz rather than the front cab. Enough !!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral