Forums
Posted By: insanekitty Car change due soon - 26th Mar 2011 10:02am
Good morning to you all.

I am due to get rid of my lease car soon and I am stuck between 2 options
1- Get another car on lease
2- Go out and buy a second hand car

Plusses for option 1 are that I can have another fuel efficient New car with no maintenance worries at a cost of about £2500 a year
Downsides are I dont own it and I cant modd it!

Plusses for option 2 are that I own it, I can modd it and change things to my liking and I can go for a larger car ie S Class Merc
Downsides are Upkeep, roadtax and maybe unexpected bills.

The used cars I was looking at vary quite a bit from an S Class Merc for all the bells and whistles, a Navara cos I have had one before and they are a lovely drive etc, or a cabriolet pref a merc because of the room in the back.

Any suggestions welcome many thanks

Steve
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Car change due soon - 26th Mar 2011 10:37am
Don't know how this fits in with your scenario but my old boy is in the business and when I said I was going to sack my lease car he advised me to pay it off and sell it because there is a premium still left on the lease car and I would have lost about 1K at least by just handing it back at the end of the lease period. It depends on what car and what the list price is when it goes back I think, either way they will just take it back and they trouser the 1K instead of you. Hope that makes sense.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:01am
My advice when people say they can get a cheap S class Merc or the like is just to be aware that it still has the running costs of an expensive car, even if it cost only a few £k to begin with.

I've always opted out of the company car scheme, preferring to take the car allowance each month - it means I can drive a more interesting car/cars that are a few years older. Why would I want a 120d when I could be driving a nice 4.4 V8 or a Z4?

Don't lease a car, get a car that has done the majority of it's depreciation and £2,500 will run something special. I can't imagine there are any interesting cars available to lease for about £200 a month?
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:15am
Alex what car is your 4.4 v8?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:35am
BMW 8 series!
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:42am
Nice cars. My mates got one in red. The v8 sounds awesome!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:51am
Cool - is it local?
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 8:55am
No mate hawarden in north Wales
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Car change due soon - 27th Mar 2011 4:57pm
Cool, there's a red one knocking around here, but it's a widebody (and in my opinion) ruined example.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral