Forums
Posted By: vw_kyle what are these like ? - 21st Feb 2011 7:47pm
clicky

Looking at these on ebay apparently they give you an extra 35bhp are these just a scam or any good.?
Posted By: sean Re: what are these like ? - 21st Feb 2011 8:26pm
load of bollox i reckon
Posted By: MrPhil Re: what are these like ? - 21st Feb 2011 8:36pm
Want a proper remap us an www.evolutionchips.co.uk dealer.

Nearest to us is St helen's iirc Divamotorsport
Posted By: StuyMac Re: what are these like ? - 21st Feb 2011 11:32pm
Very crude way of getting the car to throw more diesel in.

Generally more fuel on a diesel makes more power and these trick the engine in to adding more fuel. They dont adjust the timing or boost, so expect more black smoke.

Proper way to do it is will a proper remap which will adjust the timing and boost level throughout the entire rev range. With a proper remap you will get not only the added performance on WOT but better economy on cuise also smile
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: what are these like ? - 21st Feb 2011 11:35pm
withthat well said mate, remaps better than ecu bolt ons imho
Posted By: spannerman Re: what are these like ? - 22nd Feb 2011 12:11am
what a scam! as Sean said its a load of bollox...
Posted By: TheDr Re: what are these like ? - 22nd Feb 2011 4:26am
I had a guy come into my place (about 4/5 years ago now) and ask if I knew anything about resistors, what they did, could I tell him the value of one he had, oh and where he could get them cheaply.

I gave him the info and a few months later he started to market them on eBay and the like, a few adverts in the car mags (so you can put "As seen in xyz") and he was selling a fair number of these.

The first lot were just a resistor with heat shrink tubing around it, then they were put into a small plastic "module" with two wires coming from it, which made it look quite good with custom packaging.

The address this guy gives in the ad is this area (only a mile or two from me) so I'm guessing, and this is only a guess, that it's the same guy but with a better designed unit so you don't have to solder it anymore.

I seem to recall (and this was a few years ago) that he said something about it tricking the ECU into thinking the choke was on and so compensating for it (I don't think he was too sure, I think he was just marketing an idea he'd pulled from somewhere).

So, if it is the same device, and it is the same guy, you will be buying a 2p resistor in a fancy box......Pet Rock anyone?
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: what are these like ? - 22nd Feb 2011 8:50am
Lol Dr, well said,I've seen a few of those in eBay also, even seen them for petrol Jag xjs through to modern xk's, anything claiming to improve your bhp by 35hp for next to nothing is guaranteed to shag your engine or not work as expected, swerve on this occasion mate
Posted By: StuyMac Re: what are these like ? - 22nd Feb 2011 8:55am
He used to post on here - the guy that runs Celox....

The resistors for the petrol cars sat between the air flow meter and ecu to fool the ecu that the hotwire sensor was cooler than it was, so the ecu would throw more fuel in.

The principle of the diesel tuning boxes is to increase fuel delivery to the engine increasing power & torque.
The way the fuel delivery is increased is by manipulating the signals between the vehicles ECU (Electronic Control Unit) & the engines injection system.

Both methods only add more fuel, there is no other alteration. Admittedly the diesel tuning boxes will give you more power, as more fuel = more power in a diesel, but its very very crude.

Also, if you have a modern commom rail diesel engine, the ECU is harder to fool so your gains will be less, or it will flag up and error on the ECU.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral