Forums
From early 2011 a new scheme is being introduced to make sure that all vehicles stay insured or a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is made. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) are working together to reduce the number of uninsured drivers.

The police already seize about 500 uninsured vehicles every day. To help combat uninsured driving even further, when the new law is introduced it will result in:

• fines
  • prosecutions
  • clamping of uninsured vehicles that have not declared Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Records held by DVLA will be compared with those on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

From early 2011, if it appears from the database comparison that a vehicle has no insurance or no SORN, a letter will be sent to the registered keeper.

If the keeper takes no action, the keeper faces:

• a fixed penalty fine of £100
  • court prosecution and be fined up to £1,000
  • having the vehicle clamped, seized and destroyed

Full Info at:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...inuous_Insurance&PLA=DM&CRE=Furl
    So we may have some hope of getting a car removed that's been parked for 5 months over the width of the pavement with no road tax since October 2010,in our road,but then we pay a precept to plod to keep crime off our streets and plod and policing and value for money seem to run in opposite directions. somad
    The police won't remove the car unless it has a registered owner (ie. no-one to prosecute). We've had two in front of our house at various points.
    just cut the handbrake cable and let it roll away!
    Originally Posted by DavidB
    The police won't remove the car unless it has a registered owner (ie. no-one to prosecute). We've had two in front of our house at various points.

I think if you tell the relevants then they have to do something about it. It happened in my old road last summer and the thing was lifted and taken away (It wasn't me who bubbled him I hasten to add). Don't know what the game was but they just got themselves another car, might've used it as a free scrap scheme.
    Originally Posted by DavidB

Strange, I had a golf taken away few years back (it was parked on wrong side of road with no sidelights for 2 weeks). It was insured, taxed & Mot was in order. I reported it stolen. The cops said they took it. ( I forgot I had it) I told them to get rid so I didn't get charged smile
    On a recent conversation with the police and dvla, the police reckon they don't remove cars for tax/sorn offences, they sometimes inform dvla and it is dvla that organises the removal.

Funnily enough, two cars have been removed from very near me and they had a police "guard" put on them until the tow van took them, but they may have been stolen or involved in criminal activity.

I have a car of mine sitting here with no tax, insurance or sorn, I am the owner but not the registered keeper and seem to have very little I can do about it other than hope it doesn't get towed.
    © Wirral-Wikiwirral