Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Etch Primer - 7th Sep 2010 5:23pm
Has anyone used etch primer, I am wondering how real the problem with paint-lift is at the edge of bare-metal and paint?

Is it just a case of try it, if it lifts get the sand-paper out?

Or is it likely to occur and is it best to avoid the edges?

Any other recommends for minor surface rust areas?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Etch Primer - 7th Sep 2010 5:29pm
Etch primer is used on aluminium, etc. Have you tried zinc primer. If you treat any surface rust and spray it over, it'll be fine. I treat surface rust with sandpaper, if it's pitted with an angle grinder (and use knifing putty). smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Etch Primer - 7th Sep 2010 5:49pm
i have etch primer its very runny however it premotes adesion, however its really more for had to stick to areas, carbon fibre plastic etc

id just use a cellulose primer if its for your car removing all rust etc.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Etch Primer - 7th Sep 2010 6:02pm
The advantage of etch-primer is that it chemically changes any remaining rust (only a very thin layer is required), zinc-phosphate primer is just an adhesive unlike the zinc paint we used to be able to get.

Like to sand out as much rust as possible, but there is always a chance of the odd speck re-growing.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Etch Primer - 17th Jan 2011 5:04pm
I used zinc primer on my subframe after removing all of the rust, it's really 'tacky' in that you can't really brush it and dries in about 2 minutes (even in this weather). I'm spraying over the top either black or white.

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral