Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Idiots guide to bike licences please - 10th Jun 2010 2:11pm
I passed my car driving test during the 1976-1986 licence period and am trying to figure what I can/can't do with regard to bikes and mopeds.

I think I can drive a moped (50cc 31mph) without L plates under my P category.

Do I need a CBT for "light motorcycle" (125cc), do I need L plates? or what do I need to do to lose my L plates? and do I need a provisional bike licence? Is theory test needed?

Same sort of questions for under 25Kw and over 35Kw bikes (athough I think these may come under "death wish" for me).

Loads of information around but it also leaves loads of questions, DirctGov uses the term "practising", does that mean riding with L plates or riding under supervision?

Totally confused - idiots guide needed.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 10th Jun 2010 2:15pm
If no-one on here can help, maybe try calling Marriots or somewhere local that does motorbike tuition - Im sure they will know the crack wink

IMO I think you can ride up to 125cc, with CBT and "L" plates...
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 10th Jun 2010 3:09pm
Yes, thats correct. Up to a 125 after a CBT and with L Plates. Not sure if the theory is needed for this though. For the full bike licence a theory IS needed.

Dont know if I can do this but I would suggest TMC in Bromborough, down the road by the old Candy factory.

I did my CBT with Marriots. I found the bikes to be very old, and the area for off road training was the yard at the back of the building. However I still passed my CBT with them. For my full licence I went to TMC, and sailed through my full test with them. 1 minor fault I think. And they had brand new bikes for the CBT. Friend of mine did his there yesterday and passed his CBT no problems.

Most of all, stay safe.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 10th Jun 2010 6:29pm
Simple terms.

50cc moped/scooter on a driving licence is ok, no L plates.

Anything over 50cc upto 125cc means you need the CBT and have to show L plates.

Get yourself a Gilera Runner 125, (double disc version v reg onwards) and your CBT and L plates, perfect scooter imo
Posted By: Wheels Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 10th Jun 2010 8:36pm
Indeed I just sold my gilera runner 125 today. Best 125 around.
Posted By: JackieandMark Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 11th Jun 2010 8:56pm
i thought you needed L plates for 50cc and moped ??
Jackie
Posted By: TheDr Re: Idiots guide to bike licences please - 12th Jun 2010 1:23am
Originally Posted by JackieandMark
i thought you needed L plates for 50cc and moped ??
Jackie

I was speaking to someone at DVLA yesterday (need to update my picture, be aware your licence can be void if you don't do this...)

If you passed your full car test before Feb 2001 you can ride a moped without taking a CBT, not display L plates and carry a pillion.

If you want to ride 50cc or above (up to 125cc) then you need to take your CBT and display L plates, you cannot carry a passenger, or go onto motorways, Mopeds are not allowed on motorways.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral