Forums
Posted By: dannysayer Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 8:45pm
Not sure why they are squeeking, or how to stop then sqeeking. Any ideas please
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 8:52pm
One for Chris Gilly I feel
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 8:54pm
If the surfaces aren't worn down, there is a spray for brake surfaces but I don't recommend this.

Usually a bit of copper-grease on the back of the pads and along the moving edges sorts it out, if there are anti-squeel shims or springs, grease them likewise, very thin amount.

Make sure you don't get any grease on braking surfaces or in places likely to leech to them. Don't use a normal grease, its not high enough temperature rated.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 8:58pm
Are they getting low? Pads often have a steal spring which touches the rotor when they wear down, and make the pads squeek to let you know they are getting low.

Pads can also squeek if the discs are getting low and there is a lip on their edge.

If there is plenty of meat on them, greasing them like DD said should fix it.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 9:10pm
they have only been replaced last month
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 9:31pm
defo copper grease the backs however if a cheap brand of pads were used then he friction linings tend to be a poor quality and squeal anyhoo,

Also maybe worth changing discs too.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 11:09pm
He used Mintex pads and discs. A decent brand??
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Brakes Squeeking - 22nd May 2010 11:57pm
Mine are doing the same too and I used mintex, I even took them off and applied copper grease. So im completely stumpted too.
Posted By: AlpineA610Turbo Re: Brakes Squeeking - 23rd May 2010 6:54am
Mintex are known to squeek a lot but they are one of the best pads available for performance.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Brakes Squeeking - 23rd May 2010 8:42am
Depends on the pad compound - the OEM replacements shouldnt be any harder than the OEM pads.

When putting some copper slip on the back of the pads / anti squeel shims, als give the caliper and carrier a good wire brushing where the pad sits, and also copper slip the tracks that the pads move in.

Obviously dont slap it on everywhere, but if it gets on the brakes its not a major issue as it will clear it off first time you brake smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Brakes Squeeking - 23rd May 2010 8:58am
Yeah, wire brush the whole area. I've been done twice in the past by that metal 'low pad' screeching sound, I thought my wheel was about to come off, I had no idea what it was.
The pads squeak because they're not greased up, just cover them with copper grease
Posted By: raymondo Re: Brakes Squeeking - 23rd May 2010 10:25pm
cover the back though NOT the bit that touches the disk!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral