Forums
Posted By: dannysayer Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 19th May 2010 11:48pm
Not sure if anyone can help, I had 2 part worn tyres fitted on the back of my car at Top Gear Tyres. When they were replacing them the said my wheel alinment was out and they could fix it for £20. I said yes. After they had done it driving home i noticed that stearing wheel was not straight and car was shaking. I took it back and they said they would try to fix it but they could not and said that is was right like it was. I have had wheels tested by someone else to see if they are balanced and they are fine. Can anyone tell me how to get stearing wheel straight and to stop shaking. Thanks
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 19th May 2010 11:54pm
Originally Posted by dannysayer
Not sure if anyone can help, I had 2 part worn tyres fitted on the back of my car at Top Gear Tyres. When they were replacing them the said my wheel alinment was out and they could fix it for £20. I said yes. After they had done it driving home i noticed that stearing wheel was not straight and car was shaking. I took it back and they said they would try to fix it but they could not and said that is was right like it was. I have had wheels tested by someone else to see if they are balanced and they are fine. Can anyone tell me how to get stearing wheel straight and to stop shaking. Thanks

Did they take the balance weights off the rear wheels? thats what they did to my brothers when he took his to get 2 part worns, ended up tellin the fella to rebalance the wheel.

How did they know it was out before putting the laser gear on?

There is a good tyre place on Old Hall Road in Bromborough who do tracking for £25.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 19th May 2010 11:59pm
Sounds to me as though they didn't clamp the wheel straight before they did the alignment, and messed it up.

Take it into a well known garage (like Kwik Fit), tell them what has happened and then get them to check/do it. They'll give you a form telling you what they had to do and how far out it was, take that to Top Gear Tyres and show them what you have had to pay because they didn't do the job properly, and ask for your money back.

Depending how far you want to go you can either decided that you're glad it's all done and forget it or, if they wont pay and you're annoyed about it, get a local solicitor to send them a letter saying that their negligence (if it did) caused the problem and they should reimberse you for the cost of putting it right.

Just a thought but you say you had the BACK tyres changed, wheel balancing is often only done on the FRONTS, did your friend check those as it's possiblt it's something as simple as a wheel weight being knocked off when the alignment was being done.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 19th May 2010 11:59pm
The back wheels were not balanced correct, but got that sorted at St James Tyres.

They said they could tell by the wear on the tyre.

Do you know what the place is called that does tracking
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:02am
Would Kwik Fit be able to set it back to orignal and get the stearing wheel straight
Posted By: TheDr Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:05am
Would Kwik Fit be able to set it back to orignal and get the stearing wheel straight

Should be able to yes, all you do is clamp the wheel in the straight position and THEN do the alignment, should take no more than half an hour.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:09am
Do you know where Inspirations are near the old Candy? well it's on that road.

Kwik Fit charge £36 for tracking, bearing in mind thats 2 wheel.

What car is it?
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:11am
Its a Renault Clio 2008

Will that stop the shacking hopefully aswell
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:11am
Kwik Fit can do it.

I always use Frank Bathers opposite Cammel Lairds for anything to do with tyres/alignment.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:12am
Yep I know were inspirations are
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:14am
Do you mean wirral tyres and commercial
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:15am
Never knew Batthers did wheel alainment, You never had a problem with them
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:15am
Its a Renault Clio 2008

Will that stop the shacking hopefully aswell

Can't comment on it stopping shaking but atleast they will be able to look over it and check the tracking.

Still baffle'd why they done the tracking in the 1st place.

Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:18am
They called it 4 wheel laser alignment
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:26am
4 wheel laser alignment costs £50 from Buckley Tyres, thats the only place local who does proper 4 wheel tracking.

Top Gear are good for part worns but tracking is a no no.

Not sure on the name of the place but it's the 1st garage after the new inspirations place.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 12:36am
Never knew Batthers did wheel alainment, You never had a problem with them
Always fine, there was a mistake with the steering centering (clamp fell of when they were checking for loose joints) but the guy spotted it and re-did it all. Its one of the two bays past the far end of the tyre hall, I think the other bay is used for exhausts.

You can watch them do it.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 8:29am
Thanks Will have a look how much bathers want
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 8:34am
Just a quick one, Car is still under warranty so not sure if i should act stupid and take it to them, Do you think they would be able to sort it?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 8:50am
Pretty sure tracking would come under wear and tear and would be chargable.... think

Especially when they noticed it had been recently adjusted.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 20th May 2010 9:29am
Yep Thanks for that
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 3rd Jun 2010 10:35pm
Car has been into renault because of fault on ABS, They had a look at the stearing wheel not being straight, They want £50 to fix it.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 3rd Jun 2010 11:34pm
Having tracking that's off won't normally make your steering wheel wobble but it can:

1) cause the car to pull to one side
2) Wear your tyres on the side
3) Cause your steering to be off-centre

If the steering wheel wobbles it's most likely the wheel balance, damaged tyre or worn steering/suspension parts. The easy way to check at home is to swap the back tyres to the front and see how the car drives afterwards.

I took my car back to topgear today as it wasn't tracked properly last time they did it, but in all honesty I don't think they are any better or worse than any other backstreet tyre shop (including Kwik fit).

For £50 I would probably suggest paying the main dealer for the piece of mind as you've explored other options. At least you'll have good come back if it isn't. Be clear what you want them to do "For the £50 I want the steering wheel dead straight and the wobble sorted". A seized calliper can also effect steering, so I'd take it the dealer for that price.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 3rd Jun 2010 11:53pm
Car has been into renault because of fault on ABS, They had a look at the stearing wheel not being straight, They want £50 to fix it.

Tell you what kid, bring it to me and i`ll straighten it for you for £40 wink

Or for £30 i`ll tell you the easy way raftl

Take it to a proper garage son smile
Posted By: Mother_Goose Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 4th Jun 2010 12:04am
Originally Posted by MrPhil
4 wheel laser alignment costs £50 from Buckley Tyres, thats the only place local who does proper 4 wheel tracking.

Top Gear are good for part worns but tracking is a no no.

Not sure on the name of the place but it's the 1st garage after the new inspirations place.

Buckley tyres is worth every penny..their kit is mega expensive but does a proper job..they can do camber aswell.
you get what you pay for...
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 4th Jun 2010 8:43am
Just checked Buckley's website, they have a Hunter Hawk. This is the dogs bollocks of tracking equipment.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 5th Jun 2010 4:40pm
Rang Buckley before. They will check the alignment for a mere tenner. If you want it adjusting the prices range from about £20 for the front wheels up to £60 for the back.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 13th Jun 2010 6:04pm
Have had it done by renault them selves. Stearing wheel in now straight again, Still god some vibration in car and seems to be very bumpy, someone said it could be rear tyres, I have had the rear tyres balanced. Someone say that they could be damaged
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Stearing Wheel Not Straight/Car Shaking - 14th Jun 2010 7:22pm
I would try swapping each of the tyres with the spare if you suspect one of them may be at fault. Once you've identified which one it is you can replace it.

If it's not the tyres I would get the car up on a ramp and visually check the suspension; ball joints, reaction bushes, shocks and stearing gear.

Jack the car up in each corner and grip each wheel by the back and check that there is no play in it. Really try and rag it round with your hands and see if it moves in a diagonal motion. The wheel should rotate freely when the brake is off.

Be sure to chock the wheels if you need to release the handbrake or take it out of gear when the car is jacked or on axle stands.

Drive your car about 30mph and hit the clutch to check for bearing noise coming from the wheels.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral