Forums
Ford Fiesta, 2.5 years old started with an oil leak - few drips on the drive. Under warranty still so booked it into Ford in Birkenhead - yep it had a "massive gear box oil leak" which they 'repaired'.

Took it home, bigger drips of oil on the brand new drive. Took it back to Ford - "minor adjustment made to gearbox". Took it home - even bigger drips on drive. Took it back to Ford - "kink in one of the gaskets - repaired". Took it home - any guesses????

Still practically gushing oil all over the drive. It's gone to Ellesmere Port Ford today and will apparently take a week to fix. I'd heard bad things about the Birkenhead garage but I didn't expect this. Our drive cost a lot of money to have the council do it and now it is completely wrecked.

Will post a picture of drive when I find the camera cable to do so.

Just a rant - maybe I shouldn't have kept parking it on the drive...
if you fancy it, bring it along to my garage, ill tell you what it is for free!
See pictures...today Ellesmere Port diagnosed it as an 'oil leak' - I really do admire their motoring knowledge

Attached picture drive 1.gif
Attached picture drive 2.gif
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 14th May 2010 10:37pm
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
if you fancy it, bring it along to my garage, ill tell you what it is for free!

No offence here Chris but as it's within warrenty I would advise the owner to get on to Ford area manager (can get details of another site) and let them "fix it"

As you have been in it will be on file.

If a car has to have repeat work for the same job the place gets grief so to speak and bonus's lost so keep at it!!

Quick edit....

As it's gearbox related, does it go in gear ok? Does the clutch slip?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 14th May 2010 11:38pm
use tfr to get the oil off the drive wink

Take the car to someone who knows what they are doing!

Fook the warrenty, they won`t know unless you tell em wink
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 15th May 2010 12:24am
Ste with Ford if they warrent the work you have come back, go higher than just the ellesmere port dealer as they are monkey's.

As Ste says, TFR and a pressure washer will clear the drive.

Sounds like M53 couldnt find their own arse - even if they used both hands!

Id also like to have more than "oil leak" as diagnosis. Id like to know which gasket / seal has failed.

Is it engine oil or gearbox oil and can you see where the leak is coming from?

I have no idea what kind of oil it is - it was originally coming for the gearbox - if you look at first pic in the top left was originally were the leak was concentrated to.

I did used to have trouble getting it into gear but no the clutch doesn't slip. After the first visit, at first, it was driving like a brand new car again, but now I have started having trouble getting it into gear again.

It also judders in 3rd and 4th after you've taken your foot off the clutch.

I am not usually one to complain but I will be writing to Ford and sending them the pictures. I can clean the drive but I want them to pay for it! Although I seriously doubt they would

Thanks all for comments - I wouldn't recommend them at all. I'm very disappointed it's been a great car and I love it but the fact that I constantly feel like it's going to break down is not good!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 15th May 2010 10:18pm
If you want to know what kind of oil it is just smell it (not being funny) as gearbox oil smells disgusting, that will give you some indication.
You can tell gearbox oil from engine oil by the smell smile
My husband says he's sniffed it (ha ha) and it doesn't smell. Originally it was a "massive gear box oil leak" and "turbo intake pipe oil leak"
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 15th May 2010 10:31pm
turbo intake pipe?
lol, what kind of fizzbomb is this?
No idea - just repeating what they said, good god what have I done to my poor car taking it to these lot?!
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 15th May 2010 11:50pm
The oil will wash off in the rain in time. Drive cleaner from b&Q/homebase will sort it if you want it doing sooner.

Have a look at my topic on dealing with garages:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/405329/Advice_for_dealing_with_garage.html

If it's main dealer, I would suggest writing to Ford customer service in the first instance.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 16th May 2010 12:05am
Damn right transmission fluid is disgusting, I got a load of it on me when I took the box out of the Starion and I can still smell it today two years later.

Get trade brick/mortar cleaner:

[Linked Image]

It lifts oil/dirt/stains out of driveways in a few minutes, it's extremely acidic and is very effective, I had loads of oil on my folk's, and used this, it was like new.
Thanks that is husband's job to get some of that this week!
Originally Posted by Violet
Damn right transmission fluid is disgusting, I got a load of it on me when I took the box out of the Starion and I can still smell it today two years later.

ill back that up, i must of spilt a good litre of the oil on me while doing a few clutches and i can still smell it :@
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 16th May 2010 10:55am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
turbo intake pipe?
lol, what kind of fizzbomb is this?

Being 2.5 years old, id guess it was a TDCI wink

As already mentioned, gearbox oil is horrible stuff, a bit like cat piss, and pretty distinctive.

Engine oil has less smell, but tends to get black pretty quick on diesel cars.

The stains on the drive look quite clean, so its either engine oil that was very fresh, or it is gearbox oil and the smell isnt to strong.
Thanks all - I've had more input here than at Ford - car may be back by tomorrow evening if the parts (don't know what) have arrived. I will update you all then. I am spending my Sunday afternoon composing a letter to Ford Customer Service!!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 16th May 2010 11:52am
The MK6/6.5 are prone to have clutch slave cylinder issues, the pedal does become heavy to push. The oil is also the brake fluid as it's one system.

As you look at the pic is the stain on the left from the near side?
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 16th May 2010 2:18pm
When you write your letter, I would recommend bullet pointing the issues and try not to get to emotional with it. Just concentrate on the facts and dates. Mention the inconvenience it has caused you too and this is not what you'd expect from a main dealer.

Most importantly think of the compensation you want for this...free servicing for a year? a replacement car? Also put the time you expect them to reply in i.e. "10 working days". I would leave it open at first and just mention "that I would expect to be compensated" and see what they come back with.

Send via registered post too.
The watchdog website on the bbc has some good points about writing a letter of complaint, they are free and show you how to arrange it and how to word certain areas.

Well worth a look, make sure you find out exactly what was wrong from Ellesmere Port.

Most of all good luck.
Thanks all - as of today it's still there. Ellesmere Port told my husband they've resealed the gearbox (means nothing to me??) and they want it to set overnight?? And tomorrow they will put oil back in and road test it so I should have it back tomorrow evening.

MrPhil - I didn't have any problems with my clutch just the gears (a shuddering when in third and fourth gear) The left hand side of the picture is the passenger side of the car - the other stains are where I've reversed off the drive and it's dripped oil as I've done so.

Neil_c - only trouble is I can't remember the first date when I took it in, although I know it was early April. Can I request this information from M53 themselves do you think??

Thanks again everyone!! Much appreciated
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 17th May 2010 8:33pm
Has the car ever been in a crash or did you buy it new?

As they have resealed the end of the gearbox (plate with around 6 bolts) seems odd.

With it leaking oil and the 3rd/4th gear problems make sure you check for the next few months for weeping of that plate (well husband lol)

Hope it's all sorted, send it in 1 month before the warrenty ends for a check. Saves spending after the warrenty is up.

Quick edit, when you pick the car up ask for the service dates etc, the man behind the computer will tell you.

He will have a full record.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 17th May 2010 8:35pm
Yes you can request the info from the garage of the date it was brought in. All main dealers will book services into their computers. I wouldn't say too much about why you want it, other than being curious.

Failing that, the garage would have to provide this info under a Data protection request anyway.
It was brand new when I bought it - it's a 57 plate so it's 2.5 years into its warranty. It has been a brilliant car - the funny thing is, as annoyed as I am about my drive, we used to park on the grass before the council did the dropped kerb - so I may never have seen this leak?!

I will certainly be sending it in before the warranty ends in September - it's been a fantastic car but I've kind of lost my faith in it now with all these problems...Or perhaps I've lost my faith in Ford??

I'll get the dates when I pick it up tomorrow, fingers crossed...if I pick it up tomorrow....
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Dreadful warranty service M53 Ford Birkenhead - 17th May 2010 9:35pm
I wouldn't get too disheartened by it. Haliwell Jones treated me like shit when I took my BMW in for repair last year. Got all the money back in the end by being persistent. All cars have problems from Fords to Bentleys.

Problems will always come along in life no matter what, but it's how we deal with it that matters.

I got a letter of the solicitors today about some Grrr who is disputing crashing into me. Not going to let it get me down, will just keep on fighting it.

It's just the principle of it to me; why should I let someone else get away with trying to rip me off.
Your insurance company won't give up without a fight so I think you'll be ok there - any witnesses? Photos?

Car is back and is ok as of today. I have a copy of the work done on the car since I first took it in - I will scan it in later for all to see. Ellesmere Port said it was a different leak than last week. Hmmmm - not sure I believe that but........

They also cleaned it inside and out, I'll give them some credit if the car holds out over the next week or so but it is the kind of service you expect when you've paid thousands of pounds for a car.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral