Forums
Posted By: DavidB Farting about with welding/body repair - 17th Mar 2010 10:44pm
Have decided to whip the welder out and carry out some light repairs on the old girl.

Have decided to whip the welder, hammer, and angle grinder out and carry out some extensive repairs on the old girl.

It's got rust in the footwell corners, think this is just purely from water spraying from the wheel (this is the worst side - the other isn't too bad). Thought it might be the rubbish sunroof, but it's not:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I finally discovered the paint code and bought some nice paint:

[Linked Image]

There's a couple of scratches here and there, and through the winter it was covered in a weathershield thing. I taped it down and when I removed the tape I took a bit of paint off on the roof. frown

I began my welding on this li'l fella, it's the thing that turns the -handbrake- light on the dashboard:

[Linked Image]

Yerrr:
[Linked Image]

The wire had also snapped!

[Linked Image]

The little jobs make the biggest difference:

[Linked Image]

Put it back in and gave it a quick spray from a random rattle can:

[Linked Image]

Put new/old stock gaiters on the gear stick and shaft:

[Linked Image]

Yay!!!!

[Linked Image]

I've got metal ready shaped to go in, so will have to cut a load out and do a proper job, the whole interior will get a respray to freshen it up, it looks a bit faded. Will put more pics up soon!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 18th Mar 2010 1:16am
What car is this?

confused
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 18th Mar 2010 8:42am
Summut old judging by the seats and handbrake...
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 18th Mar 2010 9:13am
its a suzuki whizzkid if im right smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 18th Mar 2010 10:27am
Farting near a welding torch? That has to be a bit dodgy...
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 18th Mar 2010 6:41pm
[Linked Image]

be careful!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 21st Mar 2010 10:35am
'tsa Suzuki Whizzkid. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 22nd Mar 2010 9:43am
Very Retro grin
Posted By: camaroz Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 22nd Mar 2010 9:50am
You cant beat bringing an old motor back to life.
I like old cars too (and got one as well - not a whizz tho').
Heres an old advert.

Attached picture Whiz.jpg
Posted By: raymondo Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 10th Apr 2010 11:45pm
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
its a suzuki whizzkid if im right smile

[Linked Image]

have you got one of these mate cracking lil cars just bought one
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 11th Apr 2010 12:01am
I know you said last year. wink
Posted By: raymondo Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 11th Apr 2010 12:41pm
i know mate i was asking criss gilly
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 11th Apr 2010 2:19pm
Originally Posted by raymondo
i know mate i was asking criss gilly

no but ive seen violets its fairly decent, looks fun to drive smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 11th Apr 2010 3:15pm
Get some pics up! Did you get it resprayed?
I started on mine today.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 11th Apr 2010 8:53pm
wow, i remember looking at one of these that was for sale when i was younger, look like fun.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 12th Apr 2010 6:01pm
Only 30 - 40 were MOT'd last year in the UK going by the DVLA website. frown Parts are flipping rare, don't think I could afford to keep it in the long run in case something goes wrong.

I removed all the the surface rust yesterday and this afternoon cut the crappy metal out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The front wing is welded on! ARGH.

Welded a new piece of metal in. Couldn't find any spare metal anywhere, so cut up an old PC tower case I got from work, which really did the job. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will shape properly tommorow and get that wing off.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 12th Apr 2010 8:35pm
i usually use old boiler cases to weld grin

nice progress bud!
Posted By: raymondo Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 13th Apr 2010 7:34pm
put the rear quarter on, new wings then parked it up on my drive when i lost my garage gona get it resprayed and mot,d ready for the summer hopefully stil havnt sorted that rear seay base though. ill take some pics if it this week and put them on, should stil have some pics of it in the garage looking sorry for it self
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 14th Apr 2010 9:45pm
There was a load of genuine panels on ebay for about 400 quid about a month ago.

Today I set about the other side of the hole!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This'll do until I get some gas to seam weld it. I'm praying it doesn't flipping rain now!

[Linked Image]

Cut the inner panel I welded yesterday off to get to shape with the outer panels, at which point I felt frazzled and packed up.
I'm thankful the other side is just one small bit. smile
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 14th Apr 2010 10:16pm
nice one bud, getting there! smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 15th Apr 2010 10:25pm
can`t qait to see this once it`s on the road smile
Posted By: rockster Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 17th May 2010 10:20pm
Whats happened to the pictures.
It says bandwidth exceeded.
The pics were here a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway
The Whizzkid is one of the the best cars I've ever driven.
You cant help but laugh when driving one.
Brings back memories.
I've seen one around Birkenhead recently.
Is that yours?
There cant be many about now.
rockster.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Farting about with welding/body repair - 17th May 2010 11:02pm
It's probably mine! Photobucket exceeded bandwidth somehow! Comes back on in a week.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral