Forums
Posted By: chris_gilly Ford transit mk5 2.5 tuning - 4th Dec 2009 4:03pm
hey all,
before i start im will not take any liablilty, neither the forum for ANY damage or driving accidents smile i wrote this up quickly from the top of my head so spelling mistakes may occur.
ive done these on my van and it works smile

EGR bypassing
The EGR (exhaust gas reserculation) valve allows exhaust gases into the inlet tract to warm up the inlet air temps to lower emmisions from cold start compromising performace, but we want lots of cold air smile
on the 2.5 engine its a tube from the exhaust manifold on the right of the block going to the inlet manifold with a valve on it with two vacum hoses
[Linked Image]
can be seen behind the inlet hosing.
Anyway there are two vacuum hoses going to it, take them off and join them together, then blank off ports on the EGR valve(were the hoses went too,) i used two peices of hose and put a srew in the end. or you could remove it completly and blank the holes off with plating!

Diesel pump advancing

Tools needed
Very small flat screwdriver
13mm standard depth socket & ratchet
4mm Allen key

find the fuel pump, its on the left hand side below the throttle linkage
Using the jewellers screwdriver S-L-O-W-L-Y prise all around the silver cap, do this fast and the cap will be badly deformed take your time and it comes off easily and undamaged.
[Linked Image]
and youll find this
[Linked Image]
Take a 13mm socket and driver and gently crack the thread, once the locking nut is loose use your fingers to gently remove the nut. mnake sure the allen key part does not move! its best to mark the position to make sure smile

Now use a 4mm allen key and turn clockwise up to 2 complete turns NO MORE THAN 2 TURNS !!
[Linked Image]

Replace locking nut and tighten down with the driver.
Replace cap.

Should you be wary of a full 2 turns (clockwise) then leave the cap off and somewhere safe and only do 1 turn or 1.5 or 1.25 choice is yours and then run the engine (on the road) and decide if you want more or less oomph! When you are happy with the performance gains replace the cap.

good luck smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ford transit mk5 2.5 tuning - 4th Dec 2009 4:14pm
I think EGR's are more than an emissions thing, they're a profit maker for manufacturers, they're about 200 quid and they always break.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Ford transit mk5 2.5 tuning - 4th Dec 2009 4:24pm
yep! the ones fitted to vaux 8v's last about 7k miles and cost around 60! oshocked
Posted By: evill_eddy Re: Ford transit mk5 2.5 tuning - 5th May 2013 8:24am
Hey Chris,
i have the same engine .;
i could use a little more power, but i cannot see the pictures in the tread (only the "top " one)to tweak it a little.;
can you help .?
i also have a vacuum question. what should the value of the vacuum pomp be ?
in my old transti it was : -1 bar (most of the time, only in the mountains a bit lower)
the "newer" vacuumpomp (on alternator ) gives max.: -0.85
but i do not know how many km's this unit (pump) has run..
also : the engine code starts with 4PA....
this is nowhere to find !
any help will be usefull

Greetings:
e
© Wirral-Wikiwirral