Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Car Control.. - 3rd Dec 2009 12:30pm
I posted this up alredy, but seems to have gone?

Anyway, My Team Manager Linton Stutely driving our Black Mygale yesterday at the Formula Ford Sampler day, testing a different setup.

Notice how he manages to go sideways round a 90mph corner, with one hand, then swear at the photographer, who happens to be our friend. Magic laugh

Attached picture 15446_191236759646_56027659646_2865315_2338073_n.jpg
Posted By: spinking Re: Car Control.. - 5th Dec 2009 1:42pm
nice

BUT can he do it in the dry with slicks on
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 6th Dec 2009 8:39pm
I asked him, and he reckons he has done it before, but obviously not in front of a cameraman. He got his hand stuck in between the wheel and the bodywork (Fomula Fords are damn tight raftl )

Oh, and a bit of news for anyone interested in Motorsport.

The British Formula Ford championship have switched from Avon tyres, to Dunlops. The wet tyres are already 10 seconds a lap faster than originally.

As for the slicks, well my friend Rogier De Wit (who raced at Getem this season) tested his old car on the new slicks, and was 3 SECONDS A LAP FASTER THAN AN F3 CAR AROUND ROCKINGHAM!!!!!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Car Control.. - 6th Dec 2009 11:47pm
I bet they stick to the road like poo on a shoe.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 12:25am
Hell yeah. Its weird though, They are a much softer compound, but it seems you need to work them hard for a long time before gaining a benefit.

With Avons, you could go out, and set your fastest lap on lap 2. The Dunlops, we guess the fastest laps will only come in toward the end of the qualy session.

End of the day though, this difference in grip proves damn valuable point. People who start their racing careers in cars with slicks and wings (Formula BMW, F4, Formula Renault etc etc) Should be shot, as theyll never know or understand bout proper Mechanical Grip.

FORMULA FORD FOR EVER!!!!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 8:57am
The Minis ran the Dunlops - they always set the fastest lap on lap 3/4 and went down hill from there on....
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 12:45pm
Hmmm, will be interesting to compare with the Avons then.
They have a fairly intermedite compound, so although not as fast as the dunlops, their overall grip remains constant for quite a while. With a new set, you could manage a qualifying session, and possibly 2 races after that!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 12:47pm
Well, the FF1600s are much lighter than the Minis, so they will be much lighter on tyres.

On the Minis, youd maybe get a race out of the fronts, then 2 races putting the tyre on the rear before you lost "the edge" frown
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 2:22pm
Ahem...we're not classed as FF1600s, for we run the 1.6 Duratec, not the kents (confusing isnt it raftl )

Weirdly, the Duratec is a hell of a lot lighter and more powerful then the Kent, and the Zetec, hence why its used in the British championship.

Basically we're gonna be racing into the unknown. Cannae wait laugh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 2:24pm
Pah! FF will always equal Formula Ford in my eyes snob

I should hope the duratec is better than the old CVH lump - its is nearly 30 years on raftl
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 2:37pm
Ahem, 40 years on lol

Im just amazed that there is more call for the Kents in clubman racing, than there is in Zetecs. A decent driver in Zetec can race as fast as the middle pack in Duratecs, whereas the Kents are 4-5 seconds slower per lap
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 4:43pm
And i thought you said fords were poo.....

:-)
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Car Control.. - 7th Dec 2009 5:17pm
They are!

Theoretically speaking, the Formula Ford is barely even a ford.
We have 4 different engine suppliers, and they all tweak the engine themselves. Then comes the chassis makers, of which we currently have 7 competing in the championship.

Apart from the engine block, the only thing that can be found on a FF that is remotely linked to a road car is the Cheap, tacky Plastic starter button from the Focus RS. It was a requirement for this year, and a stupid pointless one, considering Ford itself doesnt even back the series mad
© Wirral-Wikiwirral