Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:07pm
[Linked Image]

The Capri is back – as a hatch! The compact family car looks set to be the must-have model of 2010 – it’s a new three- door version of the Ford Focus.

Just as Volkswagen has done with the stunning Scirocco, Ford is seeking to reinvent one of its most famous sports cars. And it’s this dramatic evolution of the next Focus that will do it.

Boasting a stylish but practical body, it will target the Scirocco and the Renault Mégane Coupé, providing a glamorous sister car to the standard five-door hatch. Appealing to young, style-conscious buyers, the new Coupé should be a big hit.

The key design cues, though, are the rakish windscreen, low roofline and high waistline, which meet to give a heavily chopped appearance at the back. It’s reminiscent of the Scirocco, but is arguably more daring and head-turning. A neat diffuser-style lower bumper, roof spoiler and gorgeous LED tail-lights complete the rear. Add in short overhangs and large alloy wheels, and the model looks every inch the
chic compact sports car.

And because that roofline doesn’t slope down too steeply, the Coupé will be practical, too, with plenty of headroom for rear passengers and a decent sized boot. Options such as a panoramic glass roof, to further increase the feeling of light and space inside, are anticipated.

In the front, a similar cabin to the five-door is expected, with a new centre console offering an improved version of Ford’s Human Machine Interface system. The finish will have a premium feel, with options including a reversing camera.

To match its storming looks, the car will be fitted with a class-leading chassis. And this promises even more agility and grip than the five-door, without sacrificing ride comfort or refinement.

There’ll be even more reason to smile when buyers see the engine range. New turbocharged EcoBoost powerplants will be available, with most cars getting a 1.6-litre petrol, producing 148bhp or 178bhp.

A new 1.6 TDCi diesel will also debut, giving up to 128bhp, alongside a flagship 2.0-litre with 168bhp or 197bhp. All these units will combine pace with superb fuel economy and low CO2 emissions. And helping the Focus Coupé to be even more efficient will be the option of a Powershift twin-clutch gearbox. This will be offered in addition to a standard-fit manual transmission. Stop-start technology is also expected to be rolled out across the line-up.

Of course, there will be a high-performance range-topper, but it’s unlikely to be powered by the much-loved 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo engine from the Focus ST and RS. This is deemed too thirsty, and will be replaced by a 2.0-litre, 200bhp EcoBoost four-cylinder turbo.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:10pm
Fords version of the Scirocco - its just a prettier version of the Focus.....

They could have at least stuck with RWD with a name like Capri [Linked Image]
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:21pm
An OTT Focus...

They must have run out of styling ideas... every car looks like a god damn focus
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:24pm
Id like to see what the "fast" version of this is going to look like - its going to have to be good IMO to top the new Focis RS though... think

The Capri was in the cops and robbers TV shows - a mans car - this just looks all soft and feminine...

Maybe after the camply renamed Kuga - they should have called this the Kapri to fall in line with the limp wristedness...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:27pm
Originally Posted by Beaker
Id like to see what the "fast" version of this is going to look like - its going to have to be good IMO to top the new Focis RS though... think
I hear if you stick stripes down the side they do go faster.

I want to know where the 'man bulge' bonnet has gone? Its not a Capri without that. think
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:34pm
Do you want a car you can be proud of?
Want a car that youll stand out in ?
Want a car that all your friends will be jealous of?

Now introducing the Ford Focus/Fiesta/Ka/Mond...AHHHHH to hell with it...

Just go buy something other than a Ford for Gods sake wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:43pm
TBH I quite like the new Ford Range, unlike Vauxhall, Fords seem to evolve.

The new Mondeos drive is better than the old one and feels bigger, the Focus is still sporty in comparison to its competitors, the Fiesta and KA are quite funky looking cars (Especially the KA which just used to be a lump of shaped plastic) that use their limited space very well.

Im just curious about where the new Capri fits in think

I think to use the Capri name it should be the iconic RWD long and sleek hatch back - this new one should be named the Focus Coupe or something... think
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:48pm
It looks f*cking horrible.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 12:51pm
Originally Posted by Violet
It looks f*cking horrible.
withthat
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 5:46pm
WTF?

GASH GASH GASH GASH GASH

Im disgusted.

Ive they actually name that the Capri, i swear i will never ever own another Ford again, and you all know im a Ford man at heart. I dont mind if they call it an anal Probe or a Cougar or something stupid like that, but theyre simply NOT ALLOWED to call that a Capri.
Posted By: Beny90 Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 6:00pm
maybe I am different than You guys but i really hate most of the new shape cars like for example hatchback impreza or new civic[look like space ship] old cars was always faster, better and much easier to repair if something go wrong i know people saying new ones are more safe, economic etc
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 6:11pm
Thought this was the new capri??? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 6:17pm
Thats what its like in america now. cars are designed to last a set period then be disposed of. Thats why the interiors are rubbish.

Its already happened to the bus industry over the last 30 years. At one time a bus would last 30 years or more in service happily, some even going on now as tour buses and such but now theyre designed for no more then 10/15 years and you can tell.

Now thats nice johnny, and i wouldnt even mind if it was wrong wheel drive as long as it has a V6.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 9:57pm
Originally Posted by Johnny Alan
Thought this was the new capri??? [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by
As Ford has yet to officially confirm its new Capri plans, we won’t see the car before the next decade. However, it has been reported that the blue oval is planning to reveal a concept version of the coupé at a major motor show in 2009.

Thats from an article in Auto Express from April 2008 wink

Posted By: DavidB Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 12th Oct 2009 11:29pm
It's a Fiesta Coupe. A lower curved roof, bigger alloys, a big bump in the middle of the rear seats, and shit headlights.

I watched a neighbour modify his satin black mk1 Capri when I was about 5, it had 2 foot wide rear wheels and the back end was hiked up. My cousin then borrowed my dad her red mk3 for the week when we went on holiday. It was my favourite car, I loved the mk3!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 13th Oct 2009 4:50pm
Horrible, same as all current Ford tat. Just another manufacturer trying to cash in on a long-lost once famous brand name, without any regard whatsoever for the original.

And don't tell me, it will have a little shitty 1.2 engine in it, far away from the classic 1.6 and 2.8i days.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Ford Capri coming at last - 14th Oct 2009 12:51pm
By the way, Auto Express is the motoring equivalent of The Sun and The Star, it's absolute shite. They 'brought us' the new Calibra, and then the Subaru 'hot hatch', when in fact it was just a photoshop/3D render on someone's website.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral