Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Gullwing Merc is back! - 21st Jul 2009 11:48am
[Linked Image]

The new Mercedes supercar has spread its wings at last! These exclusive pictures show the SLS completely undisguised for the first time ever.

And as you can see, it’s a truly stunning machine, combining the classic gullwing doors, long bonnet and clipped tail of the original 300SL with more modern details including LED lights, flush-fitting chrome exhaust tailpipes and sporty alloy wheels.

But the SLS is not all about looks. Under that huge nose you’ll find an uprated version of tuning arm AMG’s award-winning 6.3-litre V8 engine, mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Producing 570bhp, it propels the gullwing from 0-60mph in less than four seconds, and on to an unrestricted top speed of nearly 200mph.

Sales are due to start next summer, with each model costing around £150,000. But that’s not the only big Mercedes news this week. The maker also confirmed work has started on its first-ever all-electric supercar.

This will be called the E-drive, and uses the same platform as the SLS. It will be powered by four electric motors running down the centre of the car. The combined output of the four lithium-ion batteries will add up to 393kW – giving the SLS a massive 880Nm of torque from a standstill, and 525bhp.

The electric car will be heavier than the petrol-powered version, so will sprint from 0-60mph in a similar time. Once up and running, though, it’s expected to be much faster, with the huge torque giving amazing response.

Engineers will mount the batteries as low down in the car as possible, and close to the centre of gravity, to ensure the all-electric SLS counters its weight disadvantage and delivers supercar handling.

The battery-powered car also gets two gearboxes – one for each axle – to divide power between each wheel.

In addition, it will feature the latest energy-saving technologies, including regenerative braking and stop-start. Charging the SLS will simply be a case of plugging it into the mains overnight.

The electric SLS won’t hit the road until 2015, although a convertible SLC is due to arrive in the next few years.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Gullwing Merc is back! - 21st Jul 2009 6:37pm
Hideous! The front end looks like one of those Nissan Z's, with the entire contents of Ripspeed thrown onto the original. What happened to Mercedes being 'beautiful'?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Gullwing Merc is back! - 21st Jul 2009 6:59pm
i belive ive just thrown up a little just looking at that picture!
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Gullwing Merc is back! - 23rd Jul 2009 6:11pm
I Like it.

But its far from pretty.

Theyre just jumping on the 'retro' bandwagon.
Posted By: spinking Re: Gullwing Merc is back! - 23rd Jul 2009 7:21pm
I must admit i like it dunno why though
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: Gullwing Merc is back! - 28th Jul 2009 6:34pm
like it, but as dave says its retro and imo will only interest those who like retro.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral