Forums
Posted By: MattLFC The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 12:50am
Breaking News:

Originally Posted by BBC News
Formula One has been thrown into chaos after the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) carried out its threat to set up a rival championship in 2010.

Eight of F1's major teams have been frustrated by deadlocked talks with world motorsport boss Max Mosley over his controversial budget cap proposals.

"The teams have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 F1 Championship," said the teams.

"We've no alternative than to commence preparation for a new championship."

Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1.

But Fota refused to agree to his conditions, prompting championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action.

BBC News Report
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 8:01am
That's really good news for the racetracks and I think good for the sport - there are too many monopolies, needs some competition to sort things out.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 9:38am
I can see both sides think

I can see where they are trying to go with F1 - trying to keep costs down, and keep it competitive...

However, F1 is the top level of the sport, which really means there should be no limit on the expense you are allowed to spend on development and safety...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 9:51am
Agree Stu, but I think it time that we had a limited and non-limited division. Every year they are bringing in new construction rules - which is fine, but it would be nice to see an all-out safety only rules race, lets see what they can build, lets see if anyone can drive it.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 9:55am
stuy is right, there should be no limit, how the hell are they to achieve the best results when their money is capped. making the budget smaller is just going to cause problems.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 19th Jun 2009 4:51pm
FIA To Sue Over Breakaway

Originally Posted by BBC News
Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, says it will begin legal proceedings over plans to set up a rival world championship next year.

The F1 Teams Association (Fota) said on Thursday that eight of its major teams were planning to set up a rival championship for the 2010 season.

But FIA lawyers say the actions of Fota as a whole and Ferrari, in particular, amount to breaches of law.

They say they will issue legal proceedings without delay.

The statement added: "The actions of Fota as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law.

"Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."

It's all starting to get a bit messy from the sounds of things, the FIA want supremacy in motorsport, and don't like the idea of competition, I hope FOTA take them all the way and follow through with their proposed rival championship.

It's about time someone knocked the FIA, and Mosely in particular, off their perches. I did have an idea it could just be a case of FOTA calling their bluff, but after this development, it is well on its way to putting that theory to bed...

BBC News Report
Posted By: Dave100e Re: The End Of The Road For F1... - 21st Jun 2009 3:43pm
Im made up. Best thing that can happen to F1. Now it can be run by not only people who know what theyre doing, but who have an interest in the sport itself, not how much money they can earn out of it so they can make nazi sex parties and cancel one of the most historic GP's of the year.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral