Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Electrifying Le Mans racer - 25th May 2009 8:10pm
Swedish concept aims to prove battery-powered cars can compete at the pinnacle of motorsport

[Linked Image]

Audi has revolutionised the way diesel is perceived with it R10 racer, undefeated in the Le Mans 24hr race for the last three years. And now a Swiss firm, GreenGT is hoping to do the same for electric power!

This radical concept is optimised for high-speed and endurance, but runs on a pair of 100kw electric motors producing a massive 2000Nm of torque and up to 450bhp. The car’s French designer, Thomas Clavet reports that the car will reach 60mph in under four seconds and continue to a top speed of 170mph.

Aesthetically, it remains true to the traditional Le Mans racers with exaggerated fins and an overly aggressive stance – but this is more than a fantasy racecar. GreenGT has promised a model previewed by this concept will be racing at Le Mans in 2011. Sceptics are already rubbishing its chances though, claiming it won’t have the range to challenge the fossil-fuelled racers. However, GreenGT is confident that battery technology will be sufficiently advanced in two years time
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Electrifying Le Mans racer - 25th May 2009 9:20pm
I like the idea, but i think that looks stupid. Why cant they make 'serious' concept cars that dont look stupid? It just means its not serious to me.

The more i learn about electric power the more i warm to it, yet realise its not viable at the same.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Electrifying Le Mans racer - 25th May 2009 11:27pm
Subaru, if I remember correctly, created an Electric engine capable of producing around 1000 bhp, however they decided not to carry on developing it as it cost too much money, and there isnt enough current demand for it??

Be an interesting concept.. but we're stepping too much into the likes of Star Wars, Bladerunner and the Jetsons in terms of car design frown
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Electrifying Le Mans racer - 26th May 2009 3:14pm
Electric motors are capable of immense powers, but they would drain the battery in seconds. Its the batteries i think that are the problem.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral