Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe 5-Series GT shapes up - 25th May 2009 8:00pm
BMW reveals showroom-ready version of exec ‘hatch', which gets Skoda-style boot opening

[Linked Image]

The BMW 5-Series has hatched out! These are the first official pictures of the showroom-ready Gran Turismo – a hatchback model that will sit at the top of the new 5-Series range when sales start later this year.

It was previewed in concept form at the Geneva Motor Show in March, but the final production version is just as striking.

Available as either a four-seat Executive specification car for a luxurious, spacious feel or in a five-seat SE configuration the newcomer mixes a four-door coupé body with raised, sliding rear seats and a Skoda Superb-style boot opening.

Inside, there’s the option of a two or three-seater rear configuration, with chairs that can be individually slid either backwards and forwards, tilted or folded flat. Thanks to a removable bulkhead, the boot’s 430-litre capacity can be expanded to 1,650 litres, giving the GT the second largest carrying capacity in the range, after the X5.

The new rear-wheel-drive platform will feature on the standard 5-Series, as will the GT’s ‘face’, with its larger kidney grilles.

Three engines power the three models available at launch. The new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is offered as a 530d, a 535i and a 550i and engine options are to comprise 3.0-litre petrol and turbodiesel six-cylinder powerplants, plus turbo V8s.

The biggest seller in the UK is predicted to be the BMW 530d GT. Producing 245hp at 4,000rpm, the 530d accelerates from zero to 62mph in 6.9 seconds before going on to a top speed of 149mph. Peak torque of 540Nm is available from just 1,750rpm. Fuel economy is exceptional with a combined fuel consumption figure of 43.5mpg and CO2 emissions of 173g/km.

Topping the range is the BMW 550i GT. Powered by a 407hp 4,395cc V8 engine with twin-turbo technology, the 550i GT offers near supercar performance with a zero to 62mph time of 5.5 seconds and an electronically-limited 155mph top speed. Peak torque of 600Nm is on hand from 1,750rpm through to 4,500rpm.

Both models are due on sale in October, with prices starting from around £40,000.
Posted By: Dave100e Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 25th May 2009 9:21pm
This car has no purpose!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 26th May 2009 7:18am
...it just doesnt look right... think
Posted By: Wench Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 26th May 2009 4:28pm
It just looks like the illegitimate love child of Skoda and Jaguar to me no
Posted By: DavidB Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 26th May 2009 7:32pm
I hate what Chris Bangle has done to BMW. They used to be no-nonsense and -GERMAN-. It just looks ridiculous, and dare I say it, 'Gay'!
What's with the pointless scoop out of the side? The strange fins on the corners? The grille that looks like it was put on as an afterthough. It looks like each section was designed by a team in different rooms and put together in the final minutes.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 26th May 2009 7:37pm
I will laugh at anyone who passes me in one of these, as they are damn ugly and pointless...

I say that as very BMW driver is always in the outside lane, doing at least 100mph... and wont slow down for anyone somad
Posted By: Dave100e Re: 5-Series GT shapes up - 26th May 2009 9:26pm
It doesnt really matter how ugly it is, although thats a fact, can anyone actually explain a purpose to this car?

It actually explains in the writing how pointless it is.

"Available as either a four-seat Executive specification car for a luxurious, spacious feel or in a five-seat SE configuration the newcomer mixes a four-door coupé body with raised, sliding rear seats and a Skoda Superb-style boot opening"

Buy a 7 series if you want luxury, buy a 5 series if you want space, in fact a 5 covers both of those. If you want a four door coupe your an idiot, you cant have a halfy half. If you do want one buy the brilliant CLS. If you want a Skoda superb style boot..... buy a Skoda superb.

"Inside, there’s the option of a two or three-seater rear configuration, with chairs that can be individually slid either backwards and forwards, tilted or folded flat. Thanks to a removable bulkhead, the boot’s 430-litre capacity can be expanded to 1,650 litres, giving the GT the second largest carrying capacity in the range, after the X5."

Thats not exactly high tech is it? Pretty much every other manufacturer mastered the 'folding seat' art many many moon ago. If you really need a boot that big... its already telling you to buy the X5.

"The new rear-wheel-drive platform will feature on the standard 5-Series, as will the GT’s ‘face’, with its larger kidney grilles."

So its rear wheel drive? All the benefits of an X5, minus the 4wd? A car like that isnt exactly based around driving dynamics like a 5 series, at least have 4wd as an option, itd be a bit like an XC90 or a Legacy outback thingy both cars which sell well with a great following.

I can think of a far better way to spend £40,000. On a 5 series or X5 even?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral