Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 12:13am

A Talbot Sunbeam Rally crew have had a lucky escape after a 115mph jump on a rally stage became a multiple barrel roll, destroying the car and even managing to rip the helmet off one of the crew mid roll!!!

Here is the article :

Click Me...

Here is the video if you dont want to read the whole article:
Click for Video Footage..

Its definately an eye opener for Club Motorsport... as you probably know, I compete in club rallies, and theres obviously more of us who compete in other forms of motorsport. What scares me is that even with roll cages and all other safety features, Injuries can and do take place. Thankfully this crew werent too badly hurt, but its a bit scary that I have the exact helmet that came off during the roll....

Attached picture article-0-04CEE8CA000005DC-932_634x422_popup.jpg
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 1:06am
ouch but very lucky aswell glad to hear no-one was seriously hurt in this but its deffo an eye opener to the dangours the sport carries.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 2:48am
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig

But its a bit scary that I have the exact helmet that came off during the roll....

I`d change it mate to be on the safe side.

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 7:23am
How the fook did his lid come off think

...lucky to get away with that one omg
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 1:55pm
Cant really afford to get rid of a £250 helmet, and thats the basic one raftl

I think due to how violent the crash is.. his head must have been thrown around like a marble, bouncing off the roll cage etc. Theres also the possibility that he may not have had the helmet secured correctly.

The helmets and suits are checked for suitability during scrutineering, but maybe they should be checked before every stage? More work for the marshalls, but would help improve safety overall...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 1:58pm
At the NW stages a few years ago - when I was navigating, they did random halmet checks on some stages.

The onle reason that lid has come lose, is because it isnt fastened / fastened correctly.....
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 2:01pm
Maybe it was old as well, and the strap had started fraying?
Which maybe would have shown up in scrutineering, but yea, Helmets arent designed to come off.. all down to the person wearing it.
Posted By: Riki_Wirral Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 9:20pm
wow and ouch
Posted By: Wench Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 8th May 2009 10:40pm
I for one would be more than happy to do the extra work, both at scrutineering and at every stage, of checking lids. We do it with the "pins" so what's an extra second or 3 to check chin straps going to cost me?? Nothing!
Posted By: spinking Re: Horrifying Rally Crash - 9th May 2009 8:31pm
Fail thats not a crash raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral