Forums
Posted By: StuyMac FIA VINDICATES BUTTON VICTORIES - 15th Apr 2009 1:13pm
F1 diffuser row finally settled in favour of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams

The impressive start to the 2009 F1 season made by Brawn GP and Jenson Button has received a welcome boost from the FIA today. Its Court of Appeal has just declared the Brawn (née Honda) team’s car is running a legal diffuser/aero package.

Had today’s ruling gone the other way, possible sanctions could have included points penalties for the Brawn team and Button, who together have raced to victory in both the first and second GPs of the season.

The diffuser row has been simmering for several months with slower teams claiming ‘double decker’ diffusers are not within the current rules. However Brawn – together with Toyota and Williams who run similar set-ups – stuck to their guns and their position has now been vindicated.

The FIA decision leaves complainants Ferrari, Red Bull Racing, Renault, McLaren and BMW Sauber with some catching up to do on the design front. Many British F1 fans will hope the news gives Brawn and Button some breathing space to further increase their lead in the championship, although the Lewis Hamilton contingent may disagree!
Posted By: Dave100e Re: FIA VINDICATES BUTTON VICTORIES - 16th Apr 2009 3:34pm
I thinks its just a case of the others bieng upset because Brawn did it first and theyve got the advantage, but i do think its not right that theyve 'stretched' the rules. The cars are supposed to be simplified now but little things like this take that away.

I think Button just got lucky and still stand by my previous comment pre season that hes not world Champion material. Granted hes a good driver, but atm hes just got the right car thats all. Sooner or later the others will catch up and his advantage will be lost to drivers of greater ability.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral