Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Le Mans Audi R15 - 12th Mar 2009 11:26am
Originally Posted by Pistonheads

More details on 2009 Le Mans car

Audi’s 2009 Le Mans challenger will turn its wheels in anger for the first time at the Sebring 12-hours on March 21st, and Audi has revealed a few more details about its new R15 in advance of the race.

Power comes from a newly developed V10 TDI engine making over 600bhp with more than 775 lb ft of torque. The engine is unsurprisingly more compact and lighter than the diesel V12 used in last year’s R10, and Audi says innovations to the turbo and fuel injection systems have simultaneously improved engine response while improving economy – and emissions.

The new car has a longer wheelbase and is lighter, so should be significantly more agile, says the company, a fact that star British driver Allan McNish will be putting to the test in Florida.

Aerodynamic advances are said to most obviously include the raised nose, and a rear wing suspended from the top. The racer’s electrical system also features a couple of innovations, including a lithium-ion battery similar to that found in many hybrid vehicles. Benefits include lighter weight and the ability to supply higher voltage, says Audi. The R15 is also the first racer with low-beam headlamps comprised entirely of LEDs, an increasingly recognised Audi ‘trademark’.

Nishy will pilot one of two R15s competing at Sebring, before returning to Le Mans with the three car Audi Sport Team Joest in June.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wench Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 12th Mar 2009 12:27pm
Oh My!!! *drool* *thud* *tweet tweet tweet*
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 12th Mar 2009 9:40pm
Good to see theyve gone back to the Toyota GT One closed roof style. Was getting a bit bored of all the Open roof Prototypeness
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 12th Mar 2009 9:50pm
I dont like Le Mans stuff. I hate the prototypes and stuff like that.

But bloody hell thats fit!

Is it wrong to be slightly aroused?

Shame its a DIEsel though. RS6 V10 Ttwin Turbo and wind the boost up. Happy days smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 12th Mar 2009 10:05pm
Its all to do with marketing.....

With more and more diesel cars being bought, a lot of it is down to improved performace due to a car like this being developed.

The Diesel race cars are more economical and make fewer fuel stops showing how efficient they can be, it also shows their reliaility and performance.

I think petrol has well and truely been proven, now manufactures are concertrating on diesel as that is what powers increasing numbers of cars they are selling.

Posted By: Wench Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 13th Mar 2009 12:02am
Originally Posted by Dave100e
But bloody hell thats fit!

Is it wrong to be slightly aroused?

If it is wrong, then I'm in the naughty corner with you Dave raftl
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 13th Mar 2009 2:01pm
DEEEEEEEEEESEEELLLL!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the dark side minions!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 14th Mar 2009 10:19pm
I have to say, it's not near as arousing and sexy as this one IMO think

Go get tissues first!!

Posted By: MGCraig Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 15th Mar 2009 11:56am
Meh...just looks like an R8 to me
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 15th Mar 2009 12:21pm
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
Meh...just looks like an R8 to me

feckin philistine!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Le Mans Audi R15 - 15th Mar 2009 12:23pm
Cant help not get excited about them anymore sorry. Seen too many of them on the roads of Preston being driven by young ethnic drug dealers and I just think Race cars are much better happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral