Forums
Posted By: Davey_Martin Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 6:17pm
is it difficult? has anyone on here built their own?

thinking of making my own to fit snug in my boot as the box coming with my amp n subs would look rather ugly. just want to know if i'm likely to run into difficulties - also, how would i cut the circles in the surface the subs will sit in?

thnx!!

also, does anyone know where i can get orange carpet suitable for the job lol... dont want grey/silver everywhere lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 6:32pm
its not too hard as long as you have the right tools and enough time and patients. your best bet though is to buy a second hander.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 6:58pm
below is the box that i get with it, site doesnt give the sizes of it tho - just fancy something different and not so big and ugly imo lol

Attached picture KENWOOD-GTO1004E-TWIN3011-DEAL.jpg
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 7:03pm
sourced some carpet laugh
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 7:07pm
Your best friend will be MDF laugh

See where you fancy putting it, draw some designs or something, then youll have to make a template of the boot, to show where you can securely mount it etc Keeping in mind youll still need your power cable to come through to the back.

If you have 2 subs, then a nice design I always like is to raise the enclosure from the bottom of the boot, so that becomes the new floor, and the amp sits in nicely. Looks like its been set lower. Then rganise the subs as you see fit
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 7:27pm
Make sure you enclose the sub or it wont work as I found out with mine.

As Craig said, MDF is your best bet.

You'll need a jigsaw to cut it, can pick up cheap ones for a tenner.

If I were you though mate, I'd stick with the one already made
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 7:40pm
yea craig, i think wot u have described is kinda wot i have in mind, like a false floor? got plenty mdf, 18mm tho, might end up makin my car even slower than it already is haha!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 9:00pm
Yea, kind of like a false floor. Just raises everything up, so when you rest the amp on the original boot floor (maybe with some perspex over it?) it looks sunk in. You could even buy a single neon strip, or something along those lines, and have it lined up next to the amp also sunk into the floor, just to give that extra glow. I think Neons strips have gone out of fashion though now.

As Joe said, make sure the subs are enclosed. The enclosure improves the overall sound, and adds that Bassy kick that they provide. otherwise they just become a rattly speaker.

I dont have an enclosure in mine, just the sub in a standard box, and the amp secured down next to it. Ive kept it though, so if I need to change a wheel (puncture etc) it can all be disconnected and lifted out, allowing you to get to the wheel. Where are the spare wheels kept on an Astra??

If you want to spend a little bit extra, or have knowledge yourself in Composites, you could make a Fibreglass enclosure. Would end up being lighter overall.

I dare you to make a Carbon Fibre/Kevlar mixed composite Enclosure raftl raftl
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 6th Dec 2008 9:33pm
haha well i had looked on girlsandmotors or somethin like that n some girl does a step by step thing for resin/fibreglass thing for subs and amp to sit in, end result looks great, but even with the step by step i still dont have the patience or extra knowledge id probably need as the guide is just that, a guide.... not very indepth lol
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 7th Dec 2008 1:02pm
+ with making your own sub box u run the risk of there not being enough air in the box for the sub to work properly. and then they wont sound as good as they could
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 7th Dec 2008 1:49pm
withthat

like i said bud, for what its worth, just buy a pre-made one.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 7th Dec 2008 3:46pm
i dont like any of the premade ones ive seen tho haha - u can get boxes designed specifically for the astra but the ppl who make them charge a fortune for them!!

thinking some nice thick shiny acrylic for housing the subs lol... might be to flexible??
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 7th Dec 2008 3:56pm
and an arse to work with, well in past experiences of makin my own its a waste of time, effort , and money.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 7th Dec 2008 11:28pm
lol just had a look at my boot earlier on and it's pretty boxy so shouldnt be too difficult to line with mdf !!
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 8th Dec 2008 9:33am
make sure you seal the joins with somthing ( silicone sealant or the like)
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 8th Dec 2008 10:27am
yea i read about sealing it, would filler no good? saying that, i have got silicone from when we redid around the bath and sink lol
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 8th Dec 2008 5:01pm
its just a bit eiser with the silicone rather than trying to spread fillef in all the gaps
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 8th Dec 2008 6:32pm
kool, well i need to get more mdf anyway, have less than i thought lol! 12mm thick enough for the job?
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 8th Dec 2008 9:52pm
should do the job its wot most boxes are made from. loads of nails on the joins aswell!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 9th Dec 2008 2:23pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
thinking some nice thick shiny acrylic for housing the subs lol... might be to flexible??
Originally Posted by Sanchez
and an arse to work with

Lexan is the best stuff to use.

100 times easier to use than perspex
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Building your own sub enclosure - 11th Dec 2008 11:03am
think im gonna stick to mdf for first box, be biting off more than i can chew otherwise i guess. found this thing for designing ur sub box:

Ported Box Calculator
© Wirral-Wikiwirral