Forums
Posted By: Technician Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 3:29pm
I use to have my car, a Nissan Micra serviced at Nissan dealership but I thought this year I try an independent garage thinking it would be cheaper so I decide to have it service and MOT to "BAT Motorsport" in Liverpool. However they said it failed its MOT because the break pad need replacing, they also claim my brake pipe is leaking. When I ask them to give me the quote of repair the proprietor, Dave, would not give me a figure but said it wont cost much to do. I start to have suspicion and ask can I take my car away which he refuse. Foolishly I gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him do the repair. Anyway when I got the bill it was a whopping £538!!!!
I doubt the dealership would charge that amount and would advise on cost unlike those cowboys at BAT Motorsport, Liverpool.
I would advise people who want their car service to ask around first. I have been stunged and learnt the hard way. frown
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 3:43pm
mad i would of done it 4 £60
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 3:51pm
do you want some more salt to rub into his wound??!!!

gutted for you by the way!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 3:56pm
Gutted.

I didnt know BAT Motorsport did MOTs etc...
If I was back home and not at Uni, Id ask Bob Wilson who owns Hooton Park to have a word with Dave Burns. Theyre good friends.

He may need the money though to try and get his Corsa Rally car reliable...weve competed against it twice and on both occassions it Retired.
Posted By: Technician Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 4:08pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
Gutted.

I didnt know BAT Motorsport did MOTs etc...
If I was back home and not at Uni, Id ask Bob Wilson who owns Hooton Park to have a word with Dave Burns. Theyre good friends.

He may need the money though to try and get his Corsa Rally car reliable...weve competed against it twice and on both occassions it Retired.

Well he risk not getting future business from the university as I am a staff member so in the long run he is going to lose out. Now I am worry about reliability of his repairs since his Corsa retired twice in races.
Regardless weather his repairs did or did not cost that much he could have at least give me the price first and ask if I want to go ahead. The dealership does that and I am sure reputable garages do too, not so BAT Motorsport. Dave shouldnt really tell me it doesnt cost much and then sneak me the big bill afterward. I am a service engineer myself and I am bound by work ethic not to carry out work until the customer knows the price and accept the costs and If it doesnt cost much to repair it really didnt cost much. frown
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 4:18pm
Originally Posted by Technician
I use to have my car, a Nissan Micra serviced at Nissan dealership but I thought this year I try an independent garage thinking it would be cheaper so I decide to have it service and MOT to "BAT Motorsport" in Liverpool. However they said it failed its MOT because the break pad need replacing, they also claim my brake pipe is leaking. When I ask them to give me the quote of repair the proprietor, Dave, would not give me a figure but said it wont cost much to do. I start to have suspicion and ask can I take my car away which he refuse. Foolishly I gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him do the repair. Anyway when I got the bill it was a whopping £538!!!!
I doubt the dealership would charge that amount and would advise on cost unlike those cowboys at BAT Motorsport, Liverpool.
I would advise people who want their car service to ask around first. I have been stunged and learnt the hard way. frown

They refused to give you your car back?

fook that! Burn the fookin place down mad
Posted By: hoseman Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 4:50pm
They ARE obliged to give you a price upfront on request and cannot refuse to give you your car back!! Sorry for what has happened to you, i was a self employed mechanic, and i did MOT`s also, and would NEVER do work on a customers car without a price for them!!!
I would certainly question this and take it further, maybe to trading standards etc!
Sorry also, BUT you should have refused to pay on the grounds you were told it wouldnt be much!!!
Please take it further my friend, gives hard working independent traders a bad name!!
somad
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 5:24pm
The moment someone refuses to let you have your car back, is the moment you call in the plod and refuse to allow the scammers carry out any work on your vehicle.

Bang out of order, and I agree with Hoseman, take it further, trading standards will be very interested in their business practices im sure of it!!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 7:44pm
I agree with Hoseman too
Posted By: Dave100e Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 7:50pm
How can they justify that much on such a small amount of work?

Id get trading standards involved mate, i wouldnt be having that.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 7:54pm
get trading standards on to them
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 8:44pm
i wouldnt have that[Linked Image] as been said, get trading standards involved mate.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Service cowboys beware! - 9th Nov 2008 8:47pm
Tbh I would'nt have paid it; they have no right to charge that amount, there is a law against extortion.

They also have no legal right to withold your car as security against payment, unless they hold a consumer credit license (no chance), so I would have telephoned the police, drove the car away and told them to see me in court if they want the money.

They could have even taken the parts off, id rather have got a tow on my breakdown than pay £500 for a job that should have cost less than £100!

Or that I would have settled out of court had they been reasonable with the costs!!
Posted By: spinking Re: Service cowboys beware! - 10th Nov 2008 9:37am
Thats a pisstake that matey.

Have you checked to see if the works been carried out???

Also did you get a invoice for the work carried out.

As said trading standards would look into this for you and i'd consider seeking legal advice.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral