Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 8:34am
Yup, had my first retirement of the year this weekend, at the last race of the season frown

Got down there on Saturday, at around lunch time to watch a few friends race in a Classic Modified Saloon race - Neil in his Starion, and Andy in his M3. Missed Qualifying, but Neil hit the Pole, with Andy 2nd. Neil Made a bit of a mess on the start, and Andy got away cleanly - though it only took Neil a couple of laps to warm his tyres up, take the lead, and finish with a good lead.

Sunday was a different kettle of fish! Horrible weather all saturday night (Thank god we took the Travel Inn option wink )

We where 2nd out after Formula Fords at 11:35, but the weather delayed things, and we where to go out first at 13:30!!

Track was soaking wet and the Toyo888's where aquaplaining in a few places where there was standing water. After a few laps I was finding some very strange lines where giving me a lot of grip, and I put the car 4th on the grid out of 18 omg

Unfortunatly though, by the time the actual race came, the track had dried out, and all the big power cars that struggled in the wet went past me in the first couple of laps frown I dropped to about 9th, and was starting to catch the Rover Tomcat in 8th when I lost all drive coming out of Luffield frown

Ive yet to inspect the car, but I suspect either a snapped shaft, or more likely a CV joint failure...

Anyway, heres a couple of pics of Neil and Andy, Ill post more if I find any of me grin

Andy - Demon Start!!

[Linked Image]

Neil clawing it back...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wench Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 10:13am
Gutted for the retirement Stu but have to say clap for putting the car 4th on the grid out of 18 - at least you know you can easily handle the wet. If nothing else, I'm impressed yipee
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 12:20pm
Yea, nice one for the 4th place mate....Must have had some bigger balls than a lot of the others. thumbsup thumbsup

I know how it feels bout the retirement hahaha...dont worry bout it. Its not surprising that you havent looked at it yet..put it to the back of your mind. Least it wasnt down to driver error...it can all be fixed...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 2:43pm
Well, Ive looked at it, and sorted it grin

When I fitted the shaft, I didnt check it over properly, and the circlip on the end had been damaged at somepoint. TBH Im lucky its lasted this long as the shaft must have been working its way out of the CV all year. So, fitted a new circlip, new pair of CV boots to be safe, and all is well again.

Thankfully all its cost is a retirement, and a 10p part....
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 3:30pm
excellent news. Just a shame seasons now over....

Thought bout what your gonna do over the winter...track days etc ??
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 4:46pm
Theres a "Test" day followed by a Winter race day at Angelsea at the end of November - Will do one of the days, just a bit undecided which yet.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 8th Oct 2008 5:19pm
I say the Anglesey Winter race, cos theres a chance youll do the coastal track with the amazing Cork Screw laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 11th Oct 2008 1:12pm
well done on getting up to 4th Stu, shame about the retirement.

check it over properly next time lol
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Silverstone and my first retirement!! - 11th Oct 2008 3:38pm
...thing is, its actually lasted all year - I replaced the shaft before I started racing the car.

Unfortunatly, stripping shafts down between races aint something ive ever heard anyone do...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral