Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Texting and driving 3 times worse than drinking!!! - 18th Sep 2008 10:22am
Tests show texting cuts reaction times by a third

Texting behind the wheel is more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it has been reported. Recent tests showed that drivers who were at the legal alcohol limit saw a 12% drop in reaction times while those under the influence of cannabis were 21% slower.

However, those who were texting while driving had 35% slower reaction times than normal motorists. The only thing that was deemed more dangerous was talking on a mobile phone while driving, which affected everything from steering the car to judging distances.

A spokesman for the Transport Research Laboratory, which carried out the research for the RAC Foundation, said: 'The combination of increased mental workload required to write a text message, the control impairment caused by the physical act of holding the phone, and the visual impairment caused by continually shifting visual orientation between the phone display and the road ahead resulted in significantly impaired ability to maintain safe road position.’ For the test drivers aged between 17 and 24 were assessed while using a simulator.

'No responsible motorist would drink and drive,' added RAC Foundation director Prof Stephen Glaister. 'We need to ensure that text devotees understand that texting is one of the most hazardous things that can be done while in charge of a car.'

I also belive that stronger prison sentences have now been applied for anyone causing death by dangerous driving whilst using a phone!
It's not a shock really, i can just about walk and text never mind drive lol
Originally Posted by StuyMac
I also belive that stronger prison sentences have now been applied for anyone causing death by dangerous driving whilst using a phone!

with the difference in views between judges these days it's still gonna be pretty much hit or miss. while one judge may give someone 5yrs another may just give 2 and a 1 year driving ban for the same scenario. or if by stronger prison sentences u mean increase the maximum penalty, again, the above still pretty much applies unfortunately. the judges, imo, need to be put under more pressure to impose these sentences and not be so leniant because barry said sorry and cried in the dock showing sheer remorse
© Wirral-Wikiwirral